Thursday, December 17, 2020

Steampunk Ornament

 The monthly challenge at Creative Embellishments is to take inspiration from this photo....


Well you all know how much I love Steampunk so this was great fun! 
Here is what I created....


This was so much fun to make! The base is their plywood Ornament home decor pieces and it measures 10" x almost 12". A great jumping off point for loads of projects.


I knew basically what I wanted to do but it's always handy to lay things out so you know if it will work before you begin.  That's what I did here. I did add a few extra bits to the finished project but it turned out exactly as I envisioned.... which is nice for a change - LOL!!


To create this project I decoupaged some faux newsprint onto the ornament leaving lots of bumps and ripples for texture for the next step. After the decoupage glue had dried I then spritzed the ornament with Cottage Ivy Fireworks! dye spray. Now this took quiet a while to dry because of the glue but when it does dry it has got such a beautiful shimmer. If you notice the ink has pooled in those bumps and ripples I created really highlighting the textures.

Now for the chipboard goodies!!! So many cool Steampunk goodies to choose but I wanted to narrow it down so it didn't get too busy. I love the new Distressed Clocks. These are just so much fun and I knew I had to use them for this piece. Time to paint...I painted the clock pieces brass, ornament gears copper and the chain a vintage silver. Then the fun began....Glitter...lots and lots of glitter - it is Christmas after all!  (well, I probably would have added glitter anyway but it's a good excuse!  I glittered the raven, Merry Christmas sentiment and the hanger on the large ornament as well.

At this point the ornament needed something to keep the eye moving to balance it out so I glittered up a piece of holly, a few smaller gears to add to the small ornaments and I also added the bows.  I am so happy with how it turned out. It was going to be a gift but I think it may have to continue to hang on my door - LOL!!


I hope you enjoy and find inspiration in this piece...
Merry Christmas friends!


Creative Embellishments Monthly Challenge 
December 2020

Supplies:

Creative Embellishments - Ornament, Distressed Clocks, Merry Christmas, Holly, Gears (in various sizes), Steampunk Timepieces, Raven, Chain

Fairy Hugs - Fairy Hugs Powder (glitter)

Imagine - Fireworks! - Cottage Ivy; StazOn - Jet Black

Adhesive, newsprint, metallic paints


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I love anything steampunk and when it's not browny black ...that's icing on the cake!
    This is so festive, so bright, it's top of the list for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great decor item! I can see why you would wNt to keep it. I had never heard of Creative Embellishments before. I just checked them out. They have a lot of items I will have to get. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!