Wednesday, December 2, 2020

12 Days of Christmas Shakers - Day 1 + Shaker Tip

 Hello Friends and welcome to my 12 Days this year. I decided to do something a bit different this year so I'm doing the 12 Shakers of Christmas! From now until Christmas Eve every other day I will be sharing a different Christmas shaker (even days). There will be cards, ornaments and more. I hope you enjoy!!


Today I want to share a full card shaker. What's a full card shaker? It's a shaker window that covers most of the entire card. I choose to use this darling paper from Authentiques collection called Jingle.

The panel is 4 x 5.25" with the acetate cut at 4.5 x 5.75". The acetate was scored 1/4" on each edge and folded over and creased.  This will encompass the gingerbread panel.  So basically all you have to do is slip the acetate over the panel, secure it on 3 sides with your choice of adhesive (I use Beacon's 3in1 glue); fill the shaker with desired bits and close up the final acetate tab.


I used the limited edition shaker mix called Frosted Gingerbread from Sparkle Blends. I just love all the fun elements in this mix!  This shaker was mounted on a Teal card base which is what I used to cut the sentiment as well.  The sentiment was glued direction onto the front of the shaker card.


Shaker Tip!!  Before I go I wanted to clue you in on a little something I discovered recently. If you purchase acetate branded as a craft item you know you're going to be paying top dollar. I recently discovered an inexpensive alternative that works perfectly which I borrowed from the cake decorating world - Cake Collars!! It's acetate that comes on a roll in varying widths that you can use just like the sheets for a fraction of the cost.  

If you search on Amazon you can find all sorts of deals. I bought this one - Cake Collars (2) 4 x 394" rolls for 7.99. Now it wouldn't work on this shaker but you can buy rolls in 2, 3, 4, 6 and larger. I was a bit worried when I first decided to give it a try because I wasn't sure if it would be thick enough to make a nice window but it really works beautifully. The rolls I purchased wouldn't work for this particular all over effect but you can purchase rolls that would. 

Hope this little tip helps my fellow shaker lovin' friends out there :)

Supplies:

Sparkle Blends - Frosted Gingerbread

Authentique - Jingle Collection

Crafters Companion - Sentiment die

Beacon 3in1 Adhesive

Acetate, Cardstock, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!