Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Valentine Envelope Treat Bags

Today I have a fun paper craft project to share that dates back to my room mother days!

Treat bags made from envelopes! Now these are especially nice at Valentine's Day but they are great for all occasions ~ birthday's, Halloween, Easter, Christmas, etc. really anytime you'd like to share goodies with others!

The best thing about this project is that you can make bags as simple or elaborate as you would like! I'll be sharing the basic treat bag design and show a few additional examples at the end.

One thing I love about this particular project is that you can use up all those stray envelopes that never seem to fit any card in your stash! You can use any size or shape envelope on hand.

Supplies:

Envelopes (any size or shape)

Bone Folder

Adhesive

Stamps (optional)

Ink or Spray Dyes (optional)

Embellishments (optional)

Instructions:

1. Seal the envelope.

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 002

2. Cut* the envelope in half for smaller treat bags. For larger bags you may trim the envelope to any size desired (larger bag shown in the final photo).

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 004

*NOTE: I'm using deco scissors for a nifty edge on the finished bag...not necessary but it just adds a nice touch!

3. Fold the bottom edge of the envelope up 1/4" or 1/2" and crease with your bone folder.

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 005

4. Fold each side in 1/4" or 1/2" and crease with the bone folder.

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 006

Your envelope will now look like this....even creases on each side....

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 007

5. Open the envelope up and flatten the bottom of the treat bag at the crease. You'll notice two little triangle flaps...

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 008

6. Use a dab of adhesive and glue these little flaps to the bottom of the treat bag.

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 009

7. Push both sides in so the envelope now resembles a mini paper grocery sack!

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 010

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 011

8. (optional) If you'd like you can punch two holes at the top of the treat bag...add a bit of ribbon to tie it closed.

Mini Envelope Treat Bags 012

You've not got yourself an envelope treat bag ready to be filled with all sorts of sweet fun!

a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/15927968@N00/4328803396/" title="Mini Envelope Treat Bags 013 by ronijj, on Flickr">Mini Envelope Treat Bags 013

These are just a few examples of finished treat bags.

*The large purple bag is a regular sized envelope that I just trimmed off close to one edge to produce a larger treat bag. It was also dyed using Adirondack Color Wash Dye Ink.

*The bag on the right was inked and stamped using various colors of Distress Ink and stamps by Inkadinkado.

*To close the bag in front I used a cupcake topper as a closure but you could just as easily use stickers for whatever occasion you're celebrating!

Just think of the possibilities for personalizing these little gems!

9 comments:

  1. WOW what a clever idea! I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have a huge box of envelopes in my office that has my old bosses name on them and I was supposed to throw them away. Of course I just couldn't see waisting money on hundreds of envies, so I kept some. If I cut them in half, I have one perfect little white bag! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable! I wish I had a stash but dont but will remember this trick..so cute, ty Roni, cher

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this!!! thanks for the idea! now i know what the kids can do this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! what a clever idea , thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh roni, i just found your blog while doing a search for a source of colorwash inks. it pulled up your salt wash technique (very cool). and... i have lost about 45 minutes of my day while surfing your blog, LOL. some way cool ideas here to come back and try later. gonna try the valentine envelope bags today. tfs your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea as always! I have several gallon sized bags of envies I bought at a yard sale for a quarter a bag! Now I have a use for them. I knew I needed them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni -

    I love these! What a fabulous idea. Can't wait to start on some of these. Thank you so much.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is clever idea...Now i am confident what i do next for Gift Card envelopes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!