Saturday, February 6, 2010

Collage, Altered Books & Glaze

SequoiaLynn mentioned she is reading about altered books and many of them refer to glazing the project/page. She wanted to know about making her own vs. purchasing another supply.

I know I normally have a way of getting around buying another product to have on your shelf but I have to tell you Glazing Medium is relatively inexpensive (between 1.50 - 5.00 at a craft store) and is so easy to use. Popular mfg. brands include FolkArt, Duncan, Golden, Liquitex, DecoArt, etc.

Glaze is a clear medium which can be tinted with every day acrylic paints. It is used for staining, antiquing, and any number of faux finishes to top off your altered book pages, collage or altered art projects!

Depending on the type of glaze it may also add a matte or gloss finish. (check individual containers for specific finish)

I know it's another product but it really is quite versatile and a handy medium to have in your tool box.

If you don't want to purchase the glazing medium you could substitute a "wash" which is basically a 50/50 mix of acrylic paint and water. It won't yield the same effect as a Glazing Medium will but it does offer a tint layer for your project. You should keep in mind that the addition of water may effect your project produce negative results such as wrinkling, buckled papers or loosening of glues and adhesives.


  1. Roni! Sounds like the makings of a great blog post about glazes, and mixing them and examples and your last home made example! Hint, HINT!

  2. See this is exactly why we come to you. You always take the time to answer questions and help out! Thanks so much Roni!

  3. Hi Roni -

    I'll have to visit one of the stores and look for the glazing mediums. This sounds like something I would enjoy playing with. Thank for the information.

    Elaine Allen


Thanks for your thoughts and comments!