Monday, February 22, 2010

Olympic Inspiration!

As promised today I wanted to share a fun idea that I got from watching the Winter Olympics recently.




I had so much fun reading the comments...love the mica for snow idea ~ will give that more consideration...I'm thinkin' that's a great idea!



I HAD to go check out the Norwegian curling team's outfits after Trine's comment...




Trine from Norway said...
YOu must been inspired of the Norwegian curling team..... (LOL)Do you see their dress....it's so funny, they look like clowns.
February 22, 2010 2:00 AM





I hate to agree but they do....




Sorry, neither of those guesses were correct. Not sure if you've had a chance to catch much of the Olympic action or not but the graphic designs from this years Olympics are wicked awesome!


I'm talking about the blue & green waves that are on the participants numbered jerseys, on the sidelines and other places.


Here is a cool video put out by the Vancouver Olympic Organizers about how they came up with their Transmoflection designs. Below are just a few examples of how their designs are being used...


Print



olympic ad 2



olympic ad 3



Beautiful aren't they?



I think this design is one of my favorites of all the Olympics I can remember.


So, it got me thinking ~ I can do something similar with stamps, ink, embossing powders and paint!!



Now, this does take a bit of time but I think the final results are well worth it. Let's get going....for this particular example I'm going to be sticking with the blue/green color theme but you could work this in any color combo that tickles your fancy. Pink & browns, purple & red, orange & yellow...it doesn't matter ~ the sky's the limit!



olympic inspiration 001



Supplies:



Cardstock

Inks

Paint

Clear Embossing Powder

Embossing Ink

Ink Blending Tool & Foams

Heat Tool

Stamps, lots and lots of stamps!



Instructions:



1. Apply desired color of ink to a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock. I made two of each color.



olympic inspiration 002



2. Stamp multiple designs* on each piece of inked cardstock using embossing ink. Sprinkle with clear embossing powder and heat to melt.



olympic inspiration 003



olympic inspiration 004



*Note ~ I used each stamp only once...this way I have the max. number of designs/textures and no two pieces will be the same. You don't have to stamp to this extreme but it was fun to pull out all the different stamps.



3. Continue until each color has been stamped & embossed...



olympic inspiration 005



4. Add a layer of color over each piece of embossed cardstock! I did so using two different techniques ~



The first was to use Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers ~ simply swipe the ink over the entire piece of cardstock then wipe away the ink off of the embossed areas.



olympic inspiration 006



olympic inspiration 007



The second is by adding a darker shade of ink using the Ink Blending Tool & Foam.



olympic inspiration 008



olympic inspiration 009



Now you'll have a set of solid color cardstock pieces (both inked & stamped)....



olympic inspiration 010



And a set of embossed & inked (or painted) cardstock pieces....



olympic inspiration 012



Time for the fun... Cut each piece of paper up into a wave...any size or shape desired.



olympic inspiration 013



Now, you're ready to go...piece together the waves in whatever design you desire. This would be great for cards, scrapbook pages, ATC's, collage projects, etc. The possibilities are endless!



Here is a preliminary example I came up with pretty quick.



olympic inspiration 016



Tomorrow I'll have several finished examples to share with you!

So, what do you think?

Pretty cool huh ~ just think of the possibilities!

20 comments:

  1. VERY cool idea...cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roni -

    I really like this technique. What a great look. Can't wait to see what you have tomorrow.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! that is amazing! fabulous!! i will have to stop by tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool Roni!!! you are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOOOOOVE this idea - I literally gasped when I saw your finished card. Inspiration really is everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni, thank you for sharing another cool idea. I enjoy coming to your blog and seeing all the amazing things you create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roni, Roni, Roni, you amaze me! That is so cool! Do you ever run dry of ideas? For our sake, I hope not!!! Can't wait to see the rest! Dawn in OH

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree - I've been very inspired by the lime and turquoise graphics too! I love your spin on it!!

    And the Norwegians are pretty good too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great ideas! I have made some pages in a similar way, but cutting them up into waves made it even a better idea. I really appreciate all of the ideas and techniques that you share with us. I now have sooooo many wonderful inks since I started reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like so much fun! I can't wait to see the finished items and then drag out a ton of stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Funny how we can come up with ideas from almost anywhere from anything! I have a question...the picture you posted showing the diamond-patterned pants (wow) loaded with no problem on my computer at work. All your other photos I have to wait until I get home to use my home computer (which is dog-slow). Did you have it in a different format?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Games have been so inspiring! Living in Vancouver, it is hard not to feel the energy and excitement everywhere you go.

    I love what you did with the inspiration Roni! You are truly a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful!!! Can't wait to give it a try!! Love the idea of different color combos too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this. I was feeling the same way about the Olympic graphic designs.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How do you get your embossed images to come out so neat? Mine always end up with gaps or extra embossing powder messing up the image. Do you preheat the gun before melting?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!