Monday, October 5, 2020

Creative Embellishment Holiday Truck

 Good Monday Morning Friends!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Today I have a fun project for you featuring one of Creative Embellishments fun large size wood pieces - Pick Up Truck.  It measures almost 5" x 12" so it's much larger than their chipboard pieces making it great for wall art, home decor and gift ideas.


I did something a bit different to color it. It's something I've been doing for a while now and just never thought to share it.  I use this technique on both wood and chipboard. It seems to give the finished piece a nice vintage look which as you know I love.



I start off by painting the piece white - either using white acrylic paint or for smaller pieces white paint pen.  It doesn't have to be perfect, just get most of it covered with a bit of paint. It doesn't matter if the wood/chipboard shows through a bit, it will be covered in the coming layers.


Next use dye inks to color in the various portions of the truck. I started off with the wheels  but then got so engrossed with the process I forgot to take additional photos! I used Memento Dual Tip Markers and Memento Dye inks to color this piece. I just kept layering different colors on top of the previous until I achieved the look I was going for.


As you can see some of the white shows through in some areas while others are completely saturated. I used 4 different shades of red, a few shades of brown, black and even a touch of purple here and there to add deep shadows.   It's all very fluid and I blend most of it with my fingers/hands to get the "look". 

Now of course this is really cool as it is but I had an idea. I wanted my truck to haul various items for each season. Yes I could have just glued whatever I wanted to haul to the back of the truck BUT I had an idea.  

  

I glued a strip of foam board to the back of the truck right under the rack.


I then painted a piece of chipboard black on one side (the side that would show in the back of the truck) and glued it to the foamboard.


This created a little pocket between the rack and the chipboard.
 Just enough space to slip in my load.


I painted some chipboard pumpkins (Pumpkin Set) in the same way I did the truck. 
When dry I glued them together to form a stack.


Slide them into the pocket....




And now my truck is hauling it's very first load of pumpkins to market!


I had some pine trees (Tall Trees) in my stash so I painted those up as well, 
glued them together and....


I've got all sorts of ideas of things to haul for other holidays and seasons. 
I can't wait to fill it all year long!

Supplies:

Creative Embellishments - Pick Up Truck, Pumpkin Set, Tall Trees

DecoArt - White Americana Acrylic Paint

Imagine - Memento Dye Ink, Memento Dual Tip Markers

2 comments:

  1. Love your truck! Looks good with both the trees and pumpkins. I can see you using it for all of the holidays. I might need to get one and create it for my friend, as it is her style. I hadn't heard of Creative Embellishments and so glad I have not. I just spent about 30 minutes there looking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! LOL...yes, you can spend a good amount of time just window shopping! They have amazing customer service too. It's a bit addictive ;) You've been warned - LOL!!

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!