Saturday, September 12, 2020

Blast From the Past

Happy Saturday friends! I often get inspired by challenges and mood boards. Well today I have a little something to share with you that was inspired by this mood board/challenge and twist from Creative Embellishments Sept. 2020 Challenge -


The optional twist...RUST!!

So by now you all know how much I LOVE vintage anything. I love Love LOVE this mood board!! It is so very me and well, rust goes along very well with vintage.

Here's what I came up with....


I had such fun making this piece!!  The old card is something my youngest son is hoping to restore and bring back to life. I hope he does too so I can drive it - LOL!!  Anyway, I thought it would be fun to incorporate it into this canvas. As I was sorting through my stash of vintage ephemera I found bits of an old California map from the 50's...perfect!

I actually remembered to take some "in the process" photos so here's how it all came together...


So I started off by tearing the top layer of paper off this cardboard piece.
I applied DecoArt Modeling Paste to build up a bit of texture.


Next to add to the vintage appeal of it all I applied DecoArt Crackle Paste.
Once that paste had dried I went over it with a layer of DecoArt Vintage Effect Wash in Grey.
I used a damp cloth to wipe down the panel with Lamp Black acrylic paint giving it more a dirty look than actually painting it.


This is what it looked like at that point....I love the grungy, lumpy texture of it all.




So then after all of that was dry I applied Blue Vintage Effect Wash to select areas for no other real reason other than I like blue - LOL!!!


Next came the bits of the vintage map. I loved the old Triple A logo...very retro and fits with the photos perfectly.  Now I know the "thing" is to pile loads and loads of bits of this and that on canvases/scrapbook layouts at the moment but I like to incorporate and highlight a few select items with actual meaning...not just toss it all on including the kitchen sink. Not that there is anything wrong with the other...it's just not how I work which is why this is all the ephemera I added to the background.


Next came the Rust! I knew the bits and pieces I wanted to use so I pulled them all together and painted them with metallic paints then set about adding rust and verdigris corrosion to some of the pieces. Other pieces just got dirtied up by rubbing black ink over them.  I liked that look so much I went back and rubbed ink on some of the embossed bits as well.

And this is how it all came together....









Hope you've enjoyed this look into the process...
have a wonderful day friends!



Supplies:


DecoArt - Modeling Paste, Crackle Paste, Vintage Effect Wash - Grey, Blue, Americana Lamp Black Acrylic Paint

Emerald Creek - The Altered Page Baked Texture - Chunky Rust Embossing Powder

Imagine - Verdigris Embossing Powder, VersaFine Clair - Nocturne

Other - Cardboard Panel, Vintage Ephemera, Brads (mini & vintage)

2 comments:

  1. Great how to post. Love the rustiness. Both my husband and I love vintage, rust, grunge, broken. He brings ME back found stuff when he's out - I bring HIM back found stuff when I'm out! We love messy, old, junky, gunky...so I loved your piece, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the grunge on this beautiful canvas! Thanks for joining us at Creative Embellishments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!