Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Art Crayons, Watercolor Pastels, Gelatos...Slimline Card with Unity

 Hello Friends...

Unity's August challenge is centered around slimline cards...I love them! Finally more room to play :) It's been a while since I played with my watercolor crayons so I thought I'd pull them out and play. I know some artists are purists and only use one specific brand of medium but not me - I like to really mix it up. I pulled out a few Marabu Art Crayons, my Gelatos, some Watercolor Soluble Oil Pastels and more just to see what I could come up with.  This is the card I created! 


It doesn't look like I used many colors but there are loads on there, they just blend together so well you don't even realize it until you look closely. I'll show you what I did...


I started off by just scribbling two colors over the entire background panel.


I blended then added more colors - greys, greens, light browns and a hint of purple here and there.


When the background was done I scribbled color onto the stamp, misted and stamped. I added layers of color a little bit at a time to create depth and dimension with each stamping.


Tip: Once you mist your colored stamp it's a good idea to let the water dissolve the pastels a bit and when you stamp it you want to leave the stamp sit on the paper a while so the pastels have a chance to be absorbed by the paper and get a nice transfer of color.  It takes patience but it's worth it in the end.


Here's what the flowers looked like after 3 layers of color.


I then went in with a bit of yellow and a watercolor brush to fill in the centers. I also added a bit of Fairy Hugs glitter to each flower as well just for a bit of sparkle (not shown in this photo).


So there you go...dig out those art crayons and have a little fun today!  You won't regret you did.

Supplies:

Unity Stamp Co - Hollyhocks

Marabu - Art Crayons

Gelatos

Prima Art Philosophy Oil Pastels

Fairy Hugs - Sunshine Glitter Powder 

Gina Marie - Scallop Stitched Slimline Die

Cardstock, Gold Thread, Button, Adhesive




5 comments:

  1. The effect of your layers upon layers is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much Carolyn - I had fun just playing. It's fun to just see where the colors take you.

      Delete
  2. This was just the perfect design for a slimline card, and I love the subtly blended background so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!