Friday, January 13, 2012

2012 Technique Calendar - August - Melted Crayons

Today's technique is really fun if not a little bit messy...

2012 Technique Calendar
August
Melted Crayons

August 001

Supplies:

Cardstock
Iron
Crayons
Glimmer Mist (optional)
Ink
Rubber Stamps

Instructions:

1. Melt a bit of the crayon onto your iron.

August 002

2. Apply the hot wax to your cardstock.  You can pounce it, swipe it, rub it around, whatever you want.  You can experiment and have fun.

August 003

3. Continue adding additional colors until you're satisfied with how your cardstock looks.

August 004

I have to tell you I was having so much fun I made several different sheets with  all sorts of color combos.
August 007

To clean your iron off - wipe off the majority of the wax with a paper towel then rub the iron over a piece of scrap cardstock several times until it comes off clean. 

August 005

Optional - I wanted to add a bit more zing to my page since August is the dog days of summer here I thought a bit of Glimmer Mist was called for.
August 008

I finished off my calendar by stamping the edges and adding a few extras....

August 011

So there you go...
have LOADS of fun playing with your crayons ;)

8 comments:

  1. That;s really cool!!! Now I know what to use that iron for, if I can remember where it is! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the art supplies I DON'T have is crayons....yikes. Might have to make a trip to the dollar store.
    This is really cool. I knew I bought that iron for a reason...
    Thanks Roni, I am all caught up, now to get me some crayons.
    Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing this cool technique. I use encaustic wax but this definitely will be less expensive. Love the way your calendar turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your calendar turned out. I really want to try this technique but sadly I do not have an extra craft iron. I'm wondering if I melted the crayon with a pie tin between the iron and the crayon if that would work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your finished calendar is soooo darn cute! OMG!! the little girl is adorable too! great technique- the background is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhhh..to be a kid again!!! love t Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great way to use up all those broken crayolas my children don't want to color with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!