Monday, June 10, 2013

Baby Dolls....

What do you think of when you see those words?
Well this months challenge at Altered Pages is just that...
all about Baby Dolls.
If you hop on over to the Altered Pages Challenge page you can get your own free collage sheet featuring various baby doll images!
Now I know some people go to the wild side and see dolls without heads or heads without bodies or other funky visions but that's just not me.  When I think of baby dolls I'm taken back to my childhood and my own baby dolls.   The image I used reminded me of a book I used to have that had wonderful angelic illustrations in it but alas, I can't remember the artist or the book's name.
But here's my entry for the challenge....


And here's how I made it....

I started off by printing the image on Lutradur - it's a fun cross between fabric and paper.  I believe it's a synthetic fiber that has been loosely woven to create a texture that I find is a cross between mulberry paper and a dryer sheet.  It comes in regular and heavy weight which translates into a lighter more bendable sheet to a sheet that feels like it's been heavily starched. 

Now, you can run this stuff through your printer, cover it with ink, paints, mists, etc. You can stamp on it, cut it, sew it, and more.  It is really a super mixed media gem to play with.

After I printed the image I inked around the edges some with Broken China Distress Stain then sewed on a bit of lace all around the edges.

NOTE: You'll want to print your image a bit darker than normal so it shows up better to compensate for the loose weave of the material.


I then glued on some batting to the back side.


I covered a piece of chipboard with a sheet of paper that I made using the Goosebumps Resist technique I shared a couple weeks ago.


I stamped ferns around the edges then inked with Sepia ink.


I printed out some roses and butterfly images in various sizes and cut them out. 


and to add a bit of dimension I used my embossing tool to draw on the back of each flower



then flipped them over and embossed a few petal edges as well.


I also did the same to a few tiny leaves to tuck here and there.



Next, I played around with the arrangement until I ended up with a design I liked both on the board and image then glued them down.


After the flowers had dried, I glued the main baby doll image down to the board and finished it off with a length of leaf ribbon and a few half pearl gems in various sizes to set it all off.




And there you go...
my vision/idea of what the words "baby doll"
brings to mind.

Now, what's yours?
Go on over and grab the collage sheet
create something that inspires you
and enter the challenge.

You might just be the lucky winner of a wonderful prize from Altered Pages!

Good Luck Everyone
and
here's to a wonderful week!!! 
  

4 comments:

  1. Roni,
    I believe one of the artists your are talking about is Jessie Willcox Smith. She painted darling pictures of children.
    I have never left a comment, but I do check your blog everyday and enjoy your ideas, techniques, and creations and you give excellent instructions...thank you for sharing your vast amount of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Roni,
    Love your interpretation of baby doll. It is so soft and Victorian. And now I must try Lutradur, how easy is it to ink?
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I've used Lutrador a lot in the past, I need to dig it out and use it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!