Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BFF Album Challenge #1

On Saturday I posted a cool friendship e-mail I got from my Mom. I thought it would be fun to turn it into an altered book or scrapbook album and someone even suggested a card!

Well, got a lot of response so I thought we'd designate Tuesday as the BFF Album Challenge day.

Every Tuesday I'm going to post one piece of the Friendship Poem and a challenge to incorporate on your page.

Each of the challenges will be something that you could use in an altered book, scrapbook, on a card, ATC, etc. So no matter what your preferred platform you'll still be able to play!

Also, I am leaving the challenges pretty open for interpretation so that you can use what you have on hand. I've seen way to many challenges that make you use a specific stamp company or product which I think stinks. Not everybody has, wants or needs to have exactly the same items to join in the fun!

BFF Album Challenge #1

Sentiment Installment #1 -

1. When you are sad, I will jump on the person who made you sad like a spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew!!!Challenge #1 -

Incorporate Texture on your Page!

Texture could be created using layers of paper, paint, fibers, gesso, ribbons, embossing powders, dry embossing or texture plates, etc.

Here is my take on today's challenge!

I thought I'd start by mentioning that I'm going to be using some vintage beer coasters I found at a garage sale. Some will be completely covered while others will have the logo showing through. I'm going to use 2 per sentiment so it should make a nice little altered fat book when I'm finished! I'm going to use my Bind It all to hold it all together when it's done.

Friends Challenge Book 001

Gesso & Mesh

Friends Challenge Book 003

Supplies:

Foundation (Altered Book, Scrapbook, Chipboard, Cardstock, etc.)

Gesso - Ranger Industries

Adirondack Acrylic Paint - Ranger

Mesh

Acrylic Paint - Copper - Golden

Stickles Glitter Glue - Ranger

Collage Image

Sentiment (comp. generated)

Distress Inks

Mica Flakes

Vintage Dictionary Def/Photos

Instructions:

1. Mix up a bit of gesso and acrylic paint (for tint).

2. Press bits of the mesh into the gesso until your entire piece is covered.

Friends Challenge Book 005
3. (Optional) If there are areas of the mesh that haven't been completely covered, dab on additional gesso to cover the mesh. Let Dry Completely.

Friends Challenge Book 006

4. After the gesso/mesh has dried, dry brush (or finger) the metallic copper paint over the coasters. As you can see this will highlight the amazing texture created by the mesh.

Friends Challenge Book 011

5. For added texture I applied a layer of glue to various sections of my coasters and sprinkled on Mica Flakes. I then brushed on a little Stickles Glitter Glue for a bit more texture and a little bling.

6. Add images and text.

Friends Challenge Book 012

Friends Challenge Book 014

Friends Challenge Book 015

So there you go, item # 1 done in our BFF Altered Book!

Now, if you're playing along ~ I *think* I added a Mr. Linky thing below....it looks like I did anyway.

If it works like it should ~ you should be able to click on it and add a link to your BFF page. Please don't be shy ~ we'd love to see your creations!




Next Tuesday I'll post the next sentiment installment and challenge!

See you there!!!

Remember, tomorrow I'm going to be posting a product review for a fairly new company and their products.

9 comments:

  1. Roni -

    Love how this came out and I love the texture of the mica flakes on top of everything, kinda look like fish scales. Hmm, fish scales, mermaid . . .

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool - and can I just say that I got quite a chuckle knowing that under that fab sentiment lurks some Pabst Blue Ribbon coasters? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Roni! Love your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the transformation of the coasters and the insight and vision you so willingly share... !
    ...scatter joy...
    collagecafe04.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the mesh. I had recently read (on Stampers Quest Magazine, I think) that you can take regular drywall tape and then use your inks to make it any color you wanted. It already has adhesive on one side. Of course, I had to go right out and buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is totally brilliant I so love your blog, I'm always just learning something new everytime I come here.....
    Love this BFF challenge I am going to give this one a go, hope you don't mind I mentioned this on my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roni--

    This is such a great idea, and what a great poem!! I want to play!!! No guarantees that I'll be able to keep up, though, but I'll sure try!!!!! Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Roni

    I just added a link to my version of the BFF Altered Book. Thanks for the great idea. It was a perfect gift for my best friend. I bound mine with a book ring which I tied coordinating ribbons to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just recently found your website and am doing the challenge. I'm on day #3 right now. This is a link to my blog, you can see my book and challenges there. :) Thanks for such greatinspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!