Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ask Roni

After several suggestions from various people I am going to start a little something called "Ask Roni" (thanks Jan for the name suggestion!!). Basically each Saturday I'll be answering questions people have about whatever...ink things, stamping, products, etc.

Now, I know what you're thinking...what does she think she knows it all?!?!? Nope, I sure don't and I'll be the first to admit it. But I have had a lot of experience from trial and error that I can share. I have also gathered a lot of information from various people & places that might be of interest that I don't even think about (like the ink info that I had posted earlier this week). If I can't help you I will do my darnedest to find the answer or send you to someone who can.

So, if you have a question (or even a comment) you can post it here, e-mail me through my blog profile or send one to me directly at... roni jj @ g mail . com (no spaces).

I thought I'd start with an easy one that Karen asked me....

~ What do I do with all the stuff I make? ~ (She said..." I always imagine you sitting in the midst of a pile of cards, ATC's, and altered items.")
Well, sometimes I make things with someone in mind...perhaps for a birthday, special occasion or just because. Those items go to them after they have been used for publication or just posting on the blog.

When I was on the Ranger DT I had been submitting things pretty regularly to various publications (that was part of the requirements for being on the DT). Recently though between the blog & 2 DT's & a few swaps I have been keeping pretty busy so things have really started to accumulate! I haven't had time to prepare items to submit (you have to make a list of everything you used to make each piece along with detailed instructions on how it was made for each card/lo/etc) so they have just been sitting here.

I was telling Phinny recently that I have a pile of cards that if they were stacked nice & neat it would measure at least a foot & a half high! I have altered projects stuck here and there as well as a pile of LO's needing to be put into albums (I'm awful about that normally but it's worse now!).

I sell cards locally as well (which is why I make so many) so I will use them all eventually either for submissions, giving away or selling but it's just taking the time to actually get them in their respective piles and ready to go.

So yes, Karen....I am drowning in goodies here - LOL!!

Hope you're all having a simply inky weekend!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! A foot and a half tall??!! That's a lot of cards! so I am correct then in my imaginings...you ARE surrounded by art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!

    So... can I post questions here and you will answer next Saturday? Here are some questions from me:

    1. What else besides water can you put in the water brush to use with Perfect Pearls or other (non-binder) mica products? I did get the Future Floor Finish for my altered books (the pages won't stick if you do a final, light coat of this stuff)so I am thinking I could use that.

    2. OK - this is a hard one. I was reading a Lynn Perella book last night and I found a reference to Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azofluid Acrylic. I was so stumped that I wrote it down. What the heck is that and how is it used?

    3. Now that I have my printer working, the scanner won't talk to my computer. How do I fix that?!?

    4. What's up with gas prices these days?

    Oh... wait. I think you mean ART questions... right? Oops.

    (Gaaaaaaaaah! LOL)

    I love this idea. Very cool!

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - on a more serious note. In the post below this one (June 20th) I asked about the orange background you made and how to use sequin waste without ink or paint getting under the edges and blurring the image. That would be a good question here, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've used both can you comment on the differences between the The Essential Glue Pad by Tsukineko and the Palettte Stamp & Stick Gluepad. What does each one do best and why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My question - when can your hubby and kids do without you for a weekend so you can come play? :)

    Oooh - and can I answer one of your questions for you, lol! It's one of those weird usually useless bits of information I have tucked away (so excited when one of those bits of too much information actually comes in handy!)- inside story and all! :) The Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azofluid Acrylid one. This happened to be right when I started as a buyer at Herr's so I got indoctrinated right as it was happening. Golden Artist Colors had what could have been called their "signature color" - Quinacridone Gold. It was a fantastic color and we sold the bejeezus out of it. Anyways, their supplier for the quinacridone powder (quinacridone is a dark red powder pigment - highly concentrated, highly prized among artists...if you want the "best" reds or anything blended from a red such as purple, you're looking for a quinacridone - these will always be higher priced, as well) refused to keep making that particular refinement. This caused a huge uproar in the art world (I remember stores being frantic buying up what we had left). Anyways. Golden's lab finally came up with their own concoction mixing a few of their other colors to come up with something super close and named it Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold. It's a fluid acrylic so Lynn Perella took a slight liberty renaming it Azofluid (Golden doesn't refer to it that way, at least in the latest literature of theirs I still have) and skipping the gold. But that's what it is. I'm not a painter, so never got what was so special about the color, but apparently it's like gold (pun intended) for the fine artist. Looks kinda brownish red to me...

    So there - my useless library of oddball art info actually becomes useful - woohoo! :) Hope you don't mind me jumping in on that one, Roni, lol, but it's so rare to have anyone interested in those random bits of artistic trivia I possess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna! Thank you - you're a GODDESS! How cool that I read that last night, jotted it down in my art journal, posted here and you saw it and were able to answer! I love when synchronicities like that happen.

    I'm not a painter either, but this artist (in Lynn Perella's book - Alphabetica) is just wild about it so I had to know what it is. Very, very cool! And, just for fun, I am going to get some to play around with 'cause it really does sound cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Good... I have a question... I was asked it and I couldn't answer... and I haven't had time to do a little test...

    Can you make your own alcohol inks out of regular dye ink reinkers and rubbing alcohol?

    (A demo from a company that doesn't sell alcohol inks wants to demonstrate the cool techniques, but can't if she doesn't sell the product... so she was hoping to make her own with supplies she sold.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL...Yep Karen, a foot & a half ~ actually that was a couple weeks ago so I'm sure the pile has grown.

    Awesome Phinny, I'll work on the waterbrush thing... #2 Jenna knew right away which is awesome :) #3 Have you tried deleting & reloading your printer info? I had to do that once and it worked after I added it back in again. #4 - You so don't want me to go there - LOL!!! Great question about the sequins stuff too!

    I will definately work on all the others too :) This is going to be fun! I so love a good challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!