Friday, June 24, 2011

Quick Cards & Tips...Welcome Summer!

Today I thought we could welcome in summer with a couple of fun summer-y projects.

Summer Flies By...


This tag was made by inking my Non-Stick Craft Mat with a few colors of Distress Stains.  I smooshed it and dried it quickly with my heat tool.  I then spritzed it with Kiwi Perfect Pearl Spray (mmmm - I LOVE that color!!!).  

After the tag had dried completely I then stamped the foliage with Jet Black Archival Ink.  I also stamped the butterfly with Archival Ink on a piece of purple cardstock.  I then highlighted both the foliage and butterfly with Black Enamel Accents.  I also added a bit of the White Enamel Accents to the butterfly.   

While the Enamel Accents were drying I once again used the Distress Stain to color a length of rayon seam binding using the same colors that I used for the tag.

Here is a close up of the tag so you can begin to see the dimension the Enamel Accents gives the images...

Summer Flies By Close Up

TIP: As you can see from the photo I didn't apply the Enamel Accents over the entire image.  By only adding highlights to parts of the image it adds a depth you wouldn't achieve if you covered the entire image.

By the Bay...Thinking of You...


Here is a simplistic in design yet tells a very pretty tale and draws you in to the comforting sunset ... By the Bay!  I know that simple isn't the "in thing" for cards right now.  It seems if there isn't layers upon layers of "stuff" cluttering up the card it's left by the road side.  Well I for one enjoy a dressed down card...but then that's a whole 'nother can of worms - lol.

For this card I stamped the bay side image using Cobalt Archival Ink onto watercolor paper.  I then colored it using various shades of Distress Ink and my Niji Waterbrush. 

When the ink was dry I added a coat of Glossy Accents to really make the image pop.  The sentiment and twine were added once the GA had dried.

So, there you go...
two stamped projects to help you welcome in summer!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy this first full weekend of what promises to be a lovely season!

9 comments:

  1. Have a question for you, since you are familiar with the enamel accents.
    I have found that the liquid pearls are sticky until they have "cured" for a long while (if you allow them to dry to the touch and then put them in a page protector they will stick to it if you don't leave them out for a long while to cure) How are the enamel accents in this regards?
    TIA for attempting to answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you; I love simple! That is a great card; all the focus is on the lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both! The card is very serene.

    Love your tag at Ranger blog today! http://blog.rangerink.com/blog/2011/06/project-memory-capsule-and-frame-by-the-sea-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying reading your posts for sometime now and I wanted to let you know I'm sending you a blog award!

    Find out more here http://itsamistrydesignstudio.blogspot.com/

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stuff! And I love the one being featured today on the Ranger blog! You just rock girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both projects are great, but that thinking of you card is a real knockout! As always, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Scrapthat - I have never used any of the "Accents" on a sb lo before so I can't really answer your question.

    I think the issue with the Liquid Pearls may be that they need to dry completely through the entire "dot" before you place it in a page protector.

    It's sort of like a doughnut...When you fry a doughnut, the outside forms a nice crispy crust while the inside remains soft.

    Liquid Pearls is very similar as it will be dry to the touch on the outside forming a little shell or crust but the center will remain damp until all of the liquid evaporates.

    If it's put into the plastic page protector before this evaporation process is completed the moisture under it's outer shell/crust will make it seem sticky.

    I'm sure this drying process and the time it takes will vary depending on how thickly the Liquid Pearls is applied and the temp/humidity in your particular region and/or home.

    HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the "by the Bay' card!!! Simplistic is just fine with me! You do both so very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that simple card with all the white space. The simplicity of it gives such a serene feel, and really showcases the stamping!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!