Thursday, June 9, 2011

Glassine & Twinkling H2O's

A couple weeks ago I shared some techniques to help you play with your new *Ideaology Kraft Glassine Paper (Glassine & Alcohol Inks and Glassine & Distress Inks ~ Embossed Glassine).  Well today I've got another fun technique that I've been playing with...

Glassine & **Twinkling H2O's!

*Ideaology Kraft Glassine Paper is a new product in the Tim Holtz line of goodies.  I have gotten several e-mails from people who have bought it but after they had it in their hands they weren't sure what to do with it.  These techniques are designed to help you start to play! 

**Twinkling H2O's - If you're not familiar with this product it is a highly concentrated shimmery pigment that comes in a solid cake form.  You add a drop of water to the cake and let it soften.  You can then easily pick up the color with a waterbrush (which I prefer) or a regular paint brush.  Once the TH2O's have dried there is nothing more you need to do to them ~ no sealers are necessary.   I find for some applications I like them better than Perfect Pearls and they come in many many colors.

Supplies:

Glassine
Archival Ink
Rubber Stamp (Sunflower from April Get Inked Kit)
Twinkling H2O's
Waterbrush or paint brush & water
Heat Tool - Optional

Instructions:

1.  Stamp desired image onto the glassine using Archival Ink.  I like to heat set it to speed drying other wise you'll need to let it set for a while.

Twinkling H2O's on Glassine 001

2. Wet your Twinkling H2O's with a dot of water.  After it has softened, load your waterbrush/paint brush with color. 

3. Begin massaging the color onto the image.  Yes, I said massaging.   Now here is the interesting thing ~ glassine paper is naturally resistant to water.  If you spritz it with water it will run into little droplets.  When you begin painting the stamped image the Twinkling H20's will initially pool into little drops of color but as you massage the color into the image it will begin staying put.  I don't know why it works but it does...

In this photo you can see I have painted the upper portion of the sunflower.  If you look closely at the petal my brush is near you can actually see the droplets of color.  

Also, the Archival Ink has a bit of resist to it so the ink won't stick to the image lines but stay inside the lines as you add the color. 

Twinkling H2O's on Glassine 002

I must say it's a pretty fun technique to play with.  It's amazing how the paper, inks and pigments all work together.

Here is what the flower looked like once I had all of the petals painted (massaged).

Twinkling H2O's on Glassine 005
3. Continue massaging/painting the image as desired.

4. After you have finished colorizing the image, speed drying with the heat tool or let it dry naturally (which may take a while depending on temp/humidity/etc.).

Twinkling H2O's on Glassine 007

And here is what my finished glassine stamped image looks like....

Twinkling H2O's on Glassine 013

Now it's your turn!
Go massage your glassine paper ;)  LOL!!

I'm going to continue to experiment with the glassine to see what it likes and what it doesn't. 
 I'll be sure to share my findings with you all :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the Twinkling H2O's too. This looks gorgeous with that paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the look!
    have twinkling h2o's..ordered the glassine paper a couple days ago....can hardly wait to try this!!
    thanks for sharing this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for a great techique I have all the stuff - just not the time and clutter in my mind prevents us from creating ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again I am totally amazed at the methods and uses you seem to create. I can picture you as the "mad scientist" in her studio experimenting with all sorts of paints and mediums. :o) Your sunflower looks beautiful. Happy coloring...
    P.S. My word verification is -
    color
    How appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Guess I have to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roni -

    This is gorgeous! I have to purchase some of the glassine. Twinkling H20's I have, love them!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this technique. Until I read your post I never would have believed the glassine paper would work with a watercolor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!