Monday, November 29, 2010

Liquid Pearls...Old vs. New

I don't know if you're familiar with Liquid Pearls by Ranger Industries or not but recently the entire line has been revamped ~ More pearly sheen, a smoother texture, and more color! 

Many people have been asking if they are really different or is it just a ploy to get you to buy more LP's? 

Ask and ye shall receive...I did a side by side comparison of the old Liquid Pearls vs. the new Liquid Pearls and here are the results.  I'll let you check em out then below I will add what I noticed when I was using them.

Liquid Pearls
Old vs. New Colors

Left to Right - (New Color First - Old 2nd)

Baby Blue, Gold, Platinum, White Opal

Liquid Pearls - Old vs. New 010

Ruby Red, Lavender Lace, Silver Pearl, Mint Green, Petal Pink

Liquid Pearls - Old vs. New 011

Brand New Colors (two views)

Ocean Blue, Peacock, Cantaloupe, Buttercup, Rouge, Flamingo

Liquid Pearls - Old vs. New 012

LP - N vs O 001

Discontinued Colors

Pewter, Emerald Green, Lemon Yellow, Pastel Raspberry

Liquid Pearls - Old vs. New 014

As you can tell from the photos the new colors have loads more shine and pearl shimmer than the original version.   I always thought they had a nice pearl quality but next to the new formula they pail in comparison.

The next thing that jumped out at me were the more vibrant colors... I wasn't all that cracked up about the original "colored" versions of the old LP because they were soooo pastel.  Don't get me wrong...pastels are nice in some circumstances but I, like many people, rarely use pastels on a daily basis.  These new colors are so much more usable IMO.  Deeper shades of the original colors plus 6 entirely new colors to add to the mix!  Just what the dr. ordered ;)

Finally the formulation has changed ~ I don't know what they changed but I do know that after using the new Liquid Pearls it is MUCH easier to get a beautiful finished look.  I don't know about you but at times I had a difficult time getting a nice smooth flowing line when I was trying to outline something.  It was also difficult to get rid of that swirly "q" ice cream cone look when trying to create dots or little "pearls".  You had to flick and flick the bottom to try to get rid of the little tail or live with the ice cream look.      When I was making the above examples I wasn't taking my time nor was I trying to make nice little dots.  I was mostly just trying to show the new color vs. the old.  Well as you can see most of the new colors smoothed themselves out resulting in almost perfect little "pearls" without even trying!!!  How freakin' cool is that? 

I have to say that I am very impressed with the new formulation and colors.  I can't wait to begin playing with them!  After I finish up the 25 days of gifts/ornaments I plan on spending a bit of time creating and sharing some ideas on how to incorporate this nifty medium into your art.

What are your initial impressions of the new colors, shimmer, etc.?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much~ this is exactly what I was hoping to see!!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - what a great comparison - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, more stuff to buy! Thanks for the comparison, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get some. Thanks for showing them off for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful - I love the brighter colors, too! I also love Ranger's Dimensional Pearls - I use them all the time and the colors coordinate with the Adirondack colors, which makes it doubly scrumptious to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't used Liquid Pearls yet but they sure do look pretty! Thanks for the review on the old vs. new and the new benefits. That will be very helpful when I go to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for this ... I was wondering!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you always show 'old vs. new' on products!! Makes it easy for us to form our own opinions! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love side-by-side comparisons and you've done such a great job of photographing & describing the differences that I feel like I was right there with you when you were trying them out. Thanks Roni!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!