Today I've got such a fun gift idea for you...especially for those game lovers in your life.
We're going to start off with a vintage game box that you can pick up virtually anywhere...garage sales, flea markets, second hand shops, on-line auctions, etc. Normally you can find them for a little bit of nothing. I'm going to use a Bingo game that I picked up at a garage sale for $.50!
Vintage Game Box
Mini Clock Kit (around $5.00)
Bingo Chips (numbers - 3, 6, 9, 12)
Exacto Knife or Utility Knife
Styrofoam Sheet (optional)
1. (optional) The first thing I like to do is to re-enforce the box lid and backing because sometimes the cardboard in the boxes is brittle. To help fix this I glue in a layer or two of cardboard to the top lid of the box. I also glue a piece of sheet styrofoam to the box bottom. This will add quite a bit of stability to your clock and really make it very sturdy once you're finished.
2. After the glue has dried you're ready to get started on assembling the clock. Determine where you would like the clock to be on your lid. There is a nice blue dot on my box that will be perfect for the clock since it doesn't cover any of the vintage graphics. Poke a hole through the cardboard and enlarge it with an Exacto or Utility knife.
3. Temporarily place the clock works into the hole. Place the lid over the box bottom and press the clock works into the foam just hard enough to make an impression. Remove the lid and set it aside.
4. Carve out a niche in the styrofoam where your clock works will be housed when the box is reassembled.
Test fit your clock works to make sure it fits before you move on....
5. Assemble the clock in the lid...with most clock kits you remove a nut, metal washer and rubber gasket. Slide the clock stem through the hole that you previously made in the lid. Replace the rubber gasket, washer and nut. Insert the hands in the clock stem as shown...
6. Glue on the numbers...in this case I'm using Bingo chips from the game it's self!
7. Add a battery to the clock movement; replace the lid on the box and.... ENJOY!!!
I just love the vintage fun and funky feel of clocks like this!
Would you like to make a clock like this for yourself or someone you love?
Well I'm going to be sharing a mini clock kit...
Just tell me what your favorite game is and you'll be entered to win!!
You have until 11-26-10 to enter!
Good Luck Friends!!