Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bic Markers - Part II

Since I originally posted about the Bic Markers being a great alternative to Copic Markers I've had lots of questions and e-mails asking about these pens. I've done a bit of experimenting and research so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Q. What type of ink / Are the BIC Markers alcohol ink?

A. (From the Bic web-site) Thank you for your question and interest in BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers. Yes the markers are made from an alcohol-based ink and are acid free, meaning there is no added acid or measurable p.H. Furthermore, The inks used in the BIC® Mark-It Permanent Markers have undergone a toxicological review by Duke University Medical Center Occupational Health Service under the ACMI (Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc.) certification program for art and creative materials.

Q. Can these markers be blended like Copics?

A. (from the Bic web-site) BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers can be blended, lightened and diluted using a product called an alcohol blending solution. Alcohol blending solutions come in bottles with a precision tip that can either be dropped directly onto surfaces decorated with BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers, or dabbed/rubbed over the colors using a piece of felt. This method creates a lighter blended look, while dripping the product directly creates a more diluted look.To blend BIC Mark-It™ Permanent markers, first decorate any surface that the markers work on such as glass, metal, plastic, foils and coated paper. Once your design is finished, decide what kind of look you want for your design, and either drip the alcohol blending solution directly onto the surface, or dab/rub it on with some felt. Let it dry to reveal your blended masterpiece!Please note that blending is challenging for a first time user. Should you decide to use an alcohol blending solution, please be sure to follow the directions and heed any warnings provided by the manufacturer.

I didn't particularly get too excited about either of the two suggested techniques on blending these markers so I have done a bit of experimenting on my own. First with Ranger's Alcohol Blending Solution and then with ChartPak Blending Pen. The following are my results....

Ranger's Alcohol Blending Solution

&

Bic Markers

on Glossy Cardstock

I stamped my desired image using a black dye ink on glossy cardstock. I then rough colored the image ~ I didn't get too neat about it as you can see since I was going to be blending the colors.

bic maker 005

I filled one of my Niji Waterbrush Pens with Ranger's Alcohol Blending Solution. If you're not familiar with Niji Waterbrush Pens they are amazing!! They have a fillable barrel which usually is used for water & watercoloring (which I love to use paired with my Distress Inks).

After my Niji was filled & ready to go I simply blended the inks working from light to dark. I did notice that I need to keep the brush pretty wet with Blending Solution in order to blend/slide the ink around.

bic maker 007

I continued to color the leaf/stem and blend in the same fashion. Here is how my pear turned out....

bic maker 009

Chartpak Blender Pen

&

Bic Markers

on Plain Cardstock

Now that technique doesn't work on plain cardstock so I decided to try my Chartpak Blending Pen. I colored the markers on my Non-Stick Craft Mat and picked up the inks with the Blending Pen. I then colored the image as desired blending as I went.

bic maker 010

As you can see this technique also worked well.

bic maker 011

Comparison

Blending Solution vs. Chartpak

As you can see both techniques worked very well and produced a nice blended image. The Blending Solution on Glossy Cardstock (L) produced a much more vivid finished image than the Chartpak blending (R) did. Not that it is better, just different.

bic maker 013

Another question I got quite often was if the Copic Blender could be used on the Bic Markers. That I can't answer. I don't have a Copic Blender Pen nor do I have anyplace to pick one up locally so my best answer would be is to give it a shot.

So there you go...

I think this answered the three most asked questions I rec'd. on Bic Markers.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post or e-mail me.

I'd be happy to help if I can!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Roni for this useful information. I love working on glossy paper so I'm going to buy some of the Bic Markers and give them a try. Your research is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roni -

    Thanks for doing the research for us. Think I'll pick up a pack of these the next time I'm in Wal-Mart.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking this out for us, Roni! I've been using BIC markwers in scrapping for a while because they were cheap! I had no idea they could be used just like Copics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info and your examples Roni! I never thought about using the chartpak blender pen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great information Roni! I've been wanting to use Copics, but just couldn't bring myself to buy any considering the price. I'll definitely be using Bic markers!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!