Saturday, December 5, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - Day #6 Segmented Ornaments with a Twist!

Today's ornament is a twist on yesterdays Segmented Ornament.

A few people had some questions so I thought I'd start with those first.

Q ~ A couple people asked about sewing the circles together before and/or instead of gluing them together.

A ~ I think that would depend on a few factors on how well it would work. The first thing you'd have to keep in mind was the type of papers you were using.

I'd say if you had a good sewing machine and the correct needle system it could handle 8 pieces of pattern paper (the thin single sided stuff). I'm not so sure it would handle several layers of cardstock and/or double sided pattern papers because it gets pretty thick fairly quick. If your needles are too small it would definitely break them.

Another thing to keep in mind is stitch length...you want to make sure you don't perforate the paper to the point they pull off or fall off easily.

We have an industrial sewing machine so I'm sure I could sew it but I don't because I think they fluff better by stacking.

That's totally up to you though :)

Q ~ Can you use other shapes?

A ~ YES!!! By all means you sure can! You could use any shape you want as long as you can match one side with the next it will work great!

Q ~ Why don't you finish decorating the ornaments?

A ~ I want to give you the basic technique and let you finish it up. I have had lots of people tell me that once they see a project finished in a particular fashion that's the only way they can envision it. I try to keep the ornaments fairly generic so you can run with it after you've got the basic ornament completed.

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#6 - Segmented Ornaments with a Twist

Supplies
10 Circles

Adhesive

Glue Dots

Ribbon, String, etc. - Hanger

Embellishments

Instructions:

1. Cut and fold 10 circles for today's ornaments.

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 001

2. You will need to make the basic Segmented ornament following yesterday's instructions: Die Cut Segmented Ornaments.

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 002

3. Now that you've got your ornament ready to go, place one glue dot in the top portion of one of the segments near the edge of the circle as shown.

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 003

Secure the two segments together.

4. Move to the next segment and place a glue dot on the bottom portion of the segment again near the edge. Secure these two sections together.

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 004

5. Continue adding glue dots and securing the segments between the top and bottom portions of the circles. You will end up with an ornament that looks like this...

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 006

#6 - Die Cut Segmented Ornaments with a Twist 007

Pretty snazzy huh?

I just love making these ornaments!

They are quick, easy and they look great!

You'll notice I added a bit of Stickles to the edges but it's not necessary.

Since this was an easy ornament today I'm hoping to share a bonus ornament with you this evening so be sure and check back then!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 comments:

  1. That's an adorable one! I agree with your observation that finishing something up makes it hard for people to envision their own. I sometimes have that problem! Funny, because I can be creative, but it's like it gets stuck in your head and you can't get any creativity flowing. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size circles are you starting with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Roni, that is cool! I thought they looked neat when they were just segments. Adding the twist really kicked it up a notch! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome ornament!!! Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Roni! Another fantastic ornament.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are cool - thanks for sharing!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Roni,
    I love this one! Surely I have seen it sometime in my life but if I have I had forgotten. Thank you for sharing.
    You are doing a great run on the ornament tutes! Quite inspirtational to be sure. :-)
    Creatively...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I can see this as a kid friendly project as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!