Saturday, December 12, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - #15 - Origami Poinsettia

Today's ornament is an origami flower I saw one time made out of money. I changed it up a bit as you'll see. These flowers are far quicker than the last poinsettia I showed you and they are pretty spiffy once they are finished. Best of all, it only takes 2 or 3 supplies!!

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#15 - Origami Poinsettia's

Supplies:

3 pieces - 2 5/8" x 6 1/4" Red Cardstock or Paper

Wire

Stamens (optional)

Instructions:

1. Starting on the short ends, fold each end in 1/2 - 1" Both ends should be folded the same (both 1/2", both 3/4", etc.). (sorry for the rotten pic)

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 001

2. Fold in half length wise, crease and open back up again.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 002

3. Fold the short ends in towards the center crease - just like you were making a paper air plane. Do this on both ends as shown.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 003

4. Now fold each of the long sides in half meeting at the original center crease as shown in the photo.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 005

5. Fold at the original center crease.

NOTE: By this time if you used cardstock it is getting very thick so you may have to go over the crease using a bone folder.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 006

6. Fold so the points meet each other. Creasing here is not necessary. Just a pinch fold will be fine. This is to help fan the petals out in the finishing steps.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 007

7. Now repeat steps 1-6 for the remaining two pieces of paper. You should end up with three sets of petals once you are done. Each piece of paper will create two petals once you are finished.

8. (optional) Add the stamen by poking a hole in the center of one set of petals. Tie a wire around the stamen and slide it into the hole as shown. Close the sides back up to hide the wire.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 008

9. Hold all three sets of petals side by side. If you added stamen to one set of petals, this set should be the center petals. Wrap a piece of wire around all three sets twice and twist at the bottom. The excess wire will form the stem and you're way to attach the finished flower to your tree, gift or other object.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 010

10. Spread the petals out so they are spaced evenly.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 011

11. Open and flatten each petal ~ this is when your poinsettia will take shape. I really like using cardstock because once you reach this step the cardstock holds it's shape very well. You don't have to worry about tearing the paper or fussing with the petals to make them look nice.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 014

And you're finished!

It's shown here with the crepe paper poinsettia I made the other day.

#13 - Origami Poinsettia 015

This is a really quick technique for creating cool looking poinsettias to add to your home decor, tree, gifts, etc.

You can of course use this technique with money instead of paper but please don't add the stamen...the government frowns on poking holes in it ;) LOL!!

Be sure if you haven't posted in the Optical Lens Give-A-Way yet you still have a bit of time to do so. I'll be drawing the winner tomorrow :)

I'll also have another ornament to share with you tomorrow as well as some vintage postcards!

Hope to see you then!!

Take care and have a great weekend!!

7 comments:

  1. I just love it!!! I don't keep Poinsettia's in the house because I've heard they're harmful to animals and leave it to my cats...they'd nibble!!! But these are just great. I just KNOW i have to have some red cardstock in this disaster room I call my craftroom!! I want to try these out tonight! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roni -

    Another great project. I love this poinsettia and I think I can do this - LOL! Thank you for all your lovely projects the last few days. Have a great weekend.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make a few to attach to a wreath I picked up on clearance today. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an American living in France and this will be the sixth year that I've been unable to find nice looking poinsettias to use for tree decorations. I decided I would look for a way to make my own and I stumbled upon your idea. It is fantastic ! I just made a flower out of some ordinary paper to see if I could do it and I am thrilled with the result. I will send you a picture after Thanksgiving of my tree--going to make as many of these as I can. Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!