Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sandpaper + Dabbers = Faux Rusty Metal!!!!

I mentioned yesterday that I had some other things in mind for sandpaper...well, I gave it a shot and it WORKED!!! I am so stoked about these two techniques...they are really easy and REALLY fun!

K - the idea behind these 2 techniques is I know a lot of people either don't have access to or don't care to use real rusty sheet metals in their projects. SOOOOOOOO, I decided to make some of my own!!

Both techniques use the same main ingredients - Coarse Sandpaper (60 grit works best but 80 will do) and Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers!! You'll need a few other things thrown in here and there but nothing that you wouldn't already have on hand like water, your finger, a damp cloth. Beyond that just your imagination!

Let's begin...

Supplies:

Coarse Sandpaper (60 grit)

Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers - Gold, Copper, Silver, Bottle, Lettuce, Espresso, Hazelnut (this is what I used, you may choose to use others.)

Damp Cloth or Wet Finger (o.k...no comments now, we're crafting remember?!?!? LOL!!)

Sandpaper & Dabbers001

Instructions:

1. Pounce your lightest color of Dabber onto the sandpaper. Up & down motions only...if you try to slide it across the sandpaper it will rip the foam right off the Dabber!!

Sandpaper & Dabbers002

2. With moistened finger(s) rub the wet paint into the sand paper.

Sandpaper & Dabbers003

Note - this is what it should look like after you have rubbed the paint around...

Sandpaper & Dabbers004

3. Generously dab on desired color of Metallic Acrylic Dabber. (I used gold on this example.) You don't want to cover the entire piece of paper as you still want some of the green coat to show through.

Sandpaper & Dabbers005

4. Again, rub the paint around on the sandpaper.

5. This time you will lightly add a few dabs of Espresso Acrylic Dabber. This is just to add a bit of depth to your piece. You may choose to add a bit of Espresso to the edges as well.

Sandpaper & Dabbers006

And here is what your finished piece will look like!! It's a very rough looking rusty piece of faux sheet metal!!!

Sandpaper & Dabbers007

Here are a few more examples I made using this same technique...I just varied the colors & amount of paint I used. Experiment with color combos & how much paint you apply...you'll be surprised with your amazing results!

Sandpaper & Dabbers008

The next technique also uses the acrylic Dabber but in a bit different way.

1. Begin by dabbing a small amount of paint onto your craft mat.

2. Spritz the paint with water.

Sandpaper & Dabbers010

3. Now dab the diluted paint onto the sandpaper.

Sandpaper & Dabbers011

Let Dry! That's it!

Again, you'll end up with a way cool piece of faux rusty sheet metal in no time :)
Tomorrow I'll share some cards & ATC's I made using the rusty metal sheets.

Till then you'll just have to be in suspense - LOL!!
Have a super day everyone!!

9 comments:

  1. Oh now that is cool! I love the effect of the paints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - that is very cool!

    And I love the messiness (is that a word? lol). The messier the better, IMO. Cool looking technique. Isn't it fun when one good idea leads to another, and another...?!?

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    LOL Phinny...yep, messiness is a word in my book...one I use alot ;)

    Yes, it is very fun! I am so excited about this stuff! I can't wait to share the cards, I love all but one. That one just needs "something"...maybe I'll think of it before I have to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too funny that Phinny commented on the messiness! When I looked at your examples. I was so tickled to see paint all over your fingers!! And a green fingernail, LOL! Love it!! Signs of a real, dedicated crafter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I didn't even notice Karen!!! Yeah, my fingers are so inked/painted most of the time I don't even pay any attention. I was so excited about the whole thing I didn't even stop & wash before I took pics like I normally do!!!

    Gosh, I better watch that a bit more next time I take pics - LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO, not a cliff hanger...how will we stand it until tomorrow??...Roni, you tease! It always is a good play time when the ink is everywhere...and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your just so clever, wish my brain worked half as good as yours, thanks for continuing to inform and teach us all xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!