Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Art Supplies Mail Day Project

You know it's going to be a great day when you get art supplies in the mail!  Yesterday was one of those days for me.  Altered Pages is getting lots of fun art supplies in there store so I had to place an order.  Two things I really wanted to play with were the Silks Acrylic Glaze and some Niji Oil Pastels.    I used to play with Oil Pastels quite often when I was a teen but haven't had any in years.  When I saw that AP had gotten a couple different sets ~ 12 piece & a 6 piece metallics I knew I wanted to play with them.    The Silks are something I hadn't played with before but since it was a glaze I knew I'd love them... glazes lend themselves to being layered very well as there is a translucent quality that is fun to experiment with.  The Silks have an added benefit of having a bit of shimmer and shine to them.

Well you know until you break in a new art supply it will just be calling your name constantly till you do so I did - LOL!!  I wanted to play but knew I didn't have much time so I decided to make a quick book mark project.  Yes, I am one of those people that still reads an actual printed, paper book ~ I hate it when I lay a bookmark aside and forget about it so I like to have extras.

Art Mail Day Book Mark

Supplies:

Watercolor Paper
Dove Blender Pen

Instructions:

1. I started off by drawing a quickie flower on the strip of watercolor paper ~ the paper was a cut off from the art journal I made a couple weeks ago ~ It's the perfect size for book marks so I'm very pleased to be able to put it to use!


2. Next I painted the glazes on the flower using my waterbrush...the waterbrush thins the paint ever so slightly to allow for a bit of tonal blending.


Here's what my flower looks like so far....


3. I then scribbled on some oil pastels in the background.  I used a Sky Blue & Blue.


4. I used the Dove blender pen to mix & move the oil pastels around the background...  you can see how the blender pen erases the harsh lines and gives the background a smooth creamy look without changing the color of the pastels.


5. A bit more pen work, a touch of the Wink of Stella Glitter brush and it's done!!  I wish the camera picked up the Wink of Stella and the shimmer from the Silks better...both are much more impressive in person.


There you have it...
a really fun, quick project to calm the 
new art supply yearnings.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no my resolve to not buy more crafting goodies is going to walk right out the window now. I'm going to have to get myself one of those Dove Blender tools. I have not used my oil pastels lately because I don't like the harsh lines. Lol! I keep looking at those silks and I have to admit that it is very tempting to buy some. Right now though I'm trying to use what I have on hand.

    Love your bookmark and although I do read a lot of e-books and listen to audio books nothing in my humble opinion can take the place of a printed book with that wonderful smell of ink. As well as the sound of turning pages while you read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I can't wait to try my Silks!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!