Thursday, January 10, 2013

2013 Technique Calendar - February - Faux Speckled Graniteware Enamel

Today I wanted to share a technique that was inspired by our trips to antique malls and flea markets.  I've actually got several techniques I'm working on all inspired by these trips but today I wanted to share ~ Faux Speckled Graniteware!  Yes, those beautiful pieces of old enamel cookware in blues, reds and greens speckled in white!  I just love them and they seem to be a real hit with collectors as you see it all over.  I thought it would be fun to replicate that look with embossing powders!

Actually, while researching graniteware enamelware I found out that there are actually 3 different types all of which are defined by the way the colors are added to the base coat of enamel.

Mottled Ware ~ (usually grey)



Agateware Enamel -


Speckledware or Pepperedware Enamel ~


Anyway...  here you go ~

2013 Technique Calendar
February
Faux Speckled Graniteware Enamel

Supplies:

Cardstock or Chipboard
Embossing Ink (clear)
Embossing Powder - Red, Blue, Green, etc.
White Embossing Powder - Coarse Grain works best - Ex. Ranger's Weathered White Antiquities EP
Heat Tool

Instructions:

1. Apply a generous amount of embossing ink to your cardstock/chipboard.

2.  Sprinkle on the colored embossing powder of your choice.  Since the most common speckled graniteware is blue that's what I'm using for this demonstration.


  2013 Tech Cal - Feb 002

3. Heat the embossing powder to melt.  You may need to sprinkle on a bit more ep after your initial coat to be sure you have a nice thick layer of color laid down.

2013 Tech Cal - Feb 004


4. Immediately after you melt the colored ep, sprinkle a bit of the white embossing powder directly onto the molten powder.  The white ep should melt instantly but if not a quick shot with the heat tool will do the trick.

2013 Tech Cal - Feb 005

And here you go.....
Looks just like the original huh?

2013 Tech Cal - Feb 009

Well, since I'm using it for February's calendar page I went with red speckled graniteware enamel....

2013 Tech Cal - Feb 019

And here is my finished calendar page ~
(the rose is from my Ink Stained friend Esther in NZ!!)

2013 Tech Cal - Feb 023

So there you go ~
I invite you to give
Speckled Graniteware Enamel
a try!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Roni...I LOVE this!! I really love the look of graniteware enamel and this looks just like it! Not only that, it's fairly easy and I even have all the supplies. I can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa!!! That is so cool! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just fabulous Roni, I'm really enjoying making these pennants. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!