Monday, July 25, 2011

Waterslide Decal Grungeboard Charm

O.k...today I wanted to share a charm with you that I made using something I found a couple weeks ago at Hobby Lobby....  Waterslide Decals!

The decals are actually Lisa Pavelka Waterslide Transfers which I found in the polymer clay area of the store.  They are great mini vintage images in a variety of themes.  The ones I bought come with a sheet of vintage cowgirl/boys; a set of 50-ish women; a sheet of food/beverage labels and a sheet of toiletry labels.  Way cool!

I am not using them as directed (big surprise huh?) but made up my own directions and they work fine ;) 

Waterslide Decal Grungeboard Charms

Supplies:

Waterslide Decals
Water
Grungeboard
Glossy Accents
Pattern Paper; Paper Ephemera or Pages from a book/dictionary/etc.
Foil
Ink

Instructions:

1. Determine what you want to apply your waterslide decals on.  I am using a mini sheet of ledger paper from Jenni Bowlin Memo Pad and a page from a dictionary. 

2. Trim desired decal from the sheet and wet the back completely with water.  Let is soak in for about 20-30 seconds.

Waterslide Decal Charms 001

3. Spread a thin layer of Glossy Accents on your base paper; slide the water decal off the backing paper and gently place it in the GA.  If there are any wrinkles, very carefully slide the decal around until all wrinkles and air bubbles have been removed.  I like to wet my finger tip with a mix of GA & water for this step.  Let dry completely.
Waterslide Decal Charms 002

4. After the images have dried, trim and glue to a sheet of Grungeboard again using GA.  Let dry.

Waterslide Decal Charms 003

5. When your images have dried, cut them away from the GB sheet.  Now you've got lots of options for decorating the backs of these charms...Here I have glued a bit of foil to the backs which I have also pressed into the design.  I have also used dictionary or other book pages; bits of ephemera; pattern paper; crepe paper; pattern paper; etc.  I have also inked the backs; painted them; applied Perfect Pearl Mist or Glimmer Mist, the possibilities are endless.
Waterslide Decal Charms 004

6. After the backs are dry, trim each charm as desired, ink the edges using Archival Ink or Staz-On ink. 

Waterslide Decal Charms 006

7.  Add an eyelet for hanging and you're set to go!

Here are just a few examples of the charms I made using this technique.  Because they are made with Grungeboard they are quite durable, light weight and the decals make them look awesome!  Just imagine the possibilities...
Waterslide Decal Charms 007

7 comments:

  1. They look really cool... thanks for sharing them! I'll have to go by Hobby Lobby soon... only an hour away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to you to introduce me to a product I have never heard of...waterslide decals and to use them in a way that produces wonderful results but is still simple to achieve! As always, thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust you Roni to put your own spin on things - LOL! I love how these turned out, so very different. I think its time you wrote another book - LOL!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cool! I never would have looked twice at stickers and now I will look at them with a whole new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my jaw is never far from the floor roni!!more wonderful ideas..tfs..loves ya

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!