Monday, December 7, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - #9 - Kid Friendly Puzzle Ornaments

I have had a few requests for ornaments that are inexpensive and child friendly. Lots of people want to make ornaments with their children or grandchildren and would like something quick and easy as well. I switched up a few things and came up with something I think will fit the bill....


25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#9 - Kid Friendly Puzzle Ornaments

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 001
These ornaments are made almost entirely out of puzzle pieces. I chose this because it's usually something that many people have on hand and if not you can buy used puzzles at second hand stores for around .25 - .50 cents. One standard puzzle will create many many ornaments ~ great if you're working with larger groups of children (school, church, day-care, etc) or if you just want to make lots of ornaments. If you do have to purchase a used puzzle the finished ornaments will probably cost about two or three cents a piece! Doesn't get much better than that. :)

Supplies:

Puzzle Pieces

Paint (any child friendly paint will work)

White Glue (elmers works great with this!)

Embellishments of your choice - Ribbon, Glitter, Sequins, etc. Whatever you have on hand!

Instructions:

1. Paint the back of each puzzle piece with desired color of paint. Let them dry completely.

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 002

2. Assemble the pieces in various basic shapes ~ star, snowflake, wreath, candy cane, stocking, Christmas trees, etc. To help smaller children you can draw the basic shape on a piece of cardstock and have them glue the painted puzzle pieces directly to the shape.

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 004

3. After the ornaments have dried, embellish as desired. Ideas include: pipe cleaners, glitter, sequins, pony beads, ribbon, fibers, yarn, wiggle eyes, etc. Whatever you have in your stash will work!

Here are just a few finished ornaments to get you going....

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 005

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 006

#9 - Puzzle Ornaments 007

These are really easy and fun for children of all ages.

I am going to dig out my "Room Mother" idea folder and see if I can come up with a few more child & pocket book friendly ornaments to share in the coming days.

Tomorrow I'm going to share one of my favorite ornaments to make...

I think you'll "SEE" why ;)

Till then friends, go get inky!!

5 comments:

  1. I tucking this one away. Already started a different ornament project with my grandson for this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!...and so "green". We all have puzzles with missing pieces. Great idea for the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea Roni. This is something I'll do with my great-nieces. Thank you!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas!!! I am loving all the ornaments!! This one would be really easy to make with my 6 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have shown this lovely jigsaw wreath on my blog today

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!