Sunday, December 6, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments ~ #8 - Button Decorated Ornaments

YES!! One of my addictions ~ buttons! I have a HUGE collection of buttons...mostly vintage ones but lots of new ones thrown into the mix.

#8 - Button Ornament 001

This is my button container...yes, it's a bread box and yes, it's almost full. Told you it was an addiction with me ~ I wasn't kidding! Now I didn't buy them all, my grandma gave me several tins full of buttons (you know those old round cookie type tins) collected by various members of the family over the years.

These ornaments are a great way to spiff up plain colored ornaments and give them a little zip! It's also a super way to use up odds and ends buttons you might have in your stash.

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#8 - Button Decorated Ornaments

Idea #1 - Button Belted Ornament

Supplies:

Buttons

Ornament

Glue Dots

Side Cutters

#8 - Button Ornament 002

Instructions:

1. Snip off any shanks your buttons might have. This will allow you to attach the buttons to the ornament and have them sit properly.

#8 - Button Ornament 005

2. Place a Glue Dot on the back of each button and work your way around the center point of the ornament...you can see I've already got several buttons on the ornament in the background.

#8 - Button Ornament 006

And you'll end up with an ornament something like this...

#8 - Button Ornament 015

Idea #2 - Ribbon & Buttons

Supplies:

Buttons

Ribbon

Ornament

Glue Dots

Double Stick Tape

Side Cutters

#8 - Button Ornament 008

Instructions:

1. Snip off any shanks the buttons may have.

2. Beginning at the top, wrap the double stick tape around the bulb from cap to cap as shown. You can see that I have added ribbon to the first strip of adhesive and have placed the second strip (white) ready for more ribbon.

#8 - Button Ornament 010

3. Add as many strips of ribbon as desired. I usually add 3 or 4 - this spaces the ribbon nicely.

4. Add buttons where desired. I have added one at each strip of ribbon as well as around the cap.

And here is what your ornament may look like....

#8 - Button Ornament 011

So there you go...

another quick and easy ornament!

I know they aren't all inky but I do hope you're all enjoying these ornaments.

I am having fun making and sharing them with you!

There are just so many fun ways to create hand-made ornaments it's hard to decide which ones to post each day!

5 comments:

  1. Roni -

    Thank you for another wonderful ornament posting. I used to have lots of old buttons (only have a few left) that belonged to my grandmother (she's 102 and was a seamstress). I've used them through the years on works of art, I've included in beading, in jewelry, on a collage I made on velvet, things like that. I never thought about using them on ornaments, see that's why I need your brain - to pick it - LOL! Thanks for sharing.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay TutorDecember 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM

    Neat ornaments Roni! I too have lots of buttons my family has collected over the years. An ornament would be a great way to showcase some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is some huge buttonbox!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have a bunch of buttons - both old and new. I wasn't planning to have a tree this year, but if I start making all your cool ornaments, I might have to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool idea. I too have a ton of buttons from my grandma! My mom has even been reading along because she has a ton of the bulbs and I sent her your link. Thanks for inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!