Tuesday, December 22, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - #22 - Scallop Christmas Tree Ornament

This ornament is a fun and easy ornament that takes very little supplies to complete. It's great to work on with children since there are no tough cuts or intricate pieces needed.

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#22 Scallop Christmas Tree Ornament


Scallop Tree Ornament 001


Supplies:

3-5 Graduated Scallop Circles (or plain circles work too)

Pony Beads

Wired Tinsel

Embellishments (optional) - Ribbon, Fiber, Glitter, Sequins, Beads, etc.

Double Stick Tape

Instructions:

1. Cut 3 to 5 scallop or plain circles in graduated sizes. You can cut the circles from pattern paper, plain cardstock, stamped cardstock, specialty paper, etc. Also you may vary the number of circles you use. I like to use 5 but you could use 3 or 4. I like odd numbers so I usually use 3 or 5.

2. Cut the circles in half. This will give you enough for two trees.

Scallop Tree Ornament 002


3. Take each half circle and form a tiny cone. Use glue or double stick tape to adhere the edge. I think Scotch double stick tape works great for this ornament since it's instant!

Scallop Tree Ornament 004


You'll end up with a little forest of cones...

Scallop Tree Ornament 005


4. Cut the tips off each cone leaving a small hole to feed the tinsel through.

Scallop Tree Ornament 008


5. Secure a pony bead or jingle bell to one end of the wired tinsel. I like to use jingle bells for these but of course I couldn't find my stash. I haven't used them since I moved my room so I'm not sure where they went to :S

Scallop Tree Ornament 009


6. Alternately add the paper cones and beads working from largest to the smallest.

Scallop Tree Ornament 010


7. Once you've added all of your cones, twist the left over tinsel to make a hanger and trim off excess.

Scallop Tree Ornament 011


You can now decorate as desired. I just added a small bit of ribbon but you could use Stickles Glitter Glue, regular or glass glitter, sequins, buttons, charms, etc.

And you're little tree is ready for hanging!
Scallop Tree Ornament 012

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea Roni. This is really sweet. Another project to do with my great-nieces.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute - love what you do - always something different. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!