Saturday, December 19, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - #20 - Vintage Ruffled Ornament

Today's ornament is perfect when paired with vintage postcard images

and you all know how much I love my vintage postcards ;)

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#20 - Vintage Ruffled Ornaments

vintage ruffled ornament 001

Supplies:

Sheet Music, Text, cardstock or pattern paper

Vintage Image (postcard, collage, etc.)

Glue Dots

Bone Folder

Wired Tinsel

Glass Glitter (optional)

Embellishments (optional)

Instructions:

1. Cut your paper down to approx 4" x 11" ~ this will make a 4" finished circle.

TIP: If you'd like your ornament to have fancy edges, trim the long sides (11" sides) with deco scissors, border punches or fancy rotary blades. You can also embellish your paper with Glimmer Mists, Distress Inks, Perfect Pearls, Color Wash, etc.

2. Score fold lines every 1/2" with a bone folder.

vintage ruffled ornament 002

This is what your paper should look like:

vintage ruffled ornament 003

3. Gather the folds and bend in half. Wrap the wired tinsel around the center and secure.

vintage ruffled ornament 005

4. Use Glue Dots or other favorite adhesive to secure ends to ends. You will notice I tucked the wired tinsel between the two edges of the top portion of the ornament. This will give you a great "hanger" when we finish it off.

vintage ruffled ornament 007

vintage ruffled ornament 008

5. Embellish the ruffled circle as desired. I added glass glitter to each of the "hills" (raised folds).

vintage ruffled ornament 009

6. Cut and mount your vintage image as desired. I cut the image and mounted it on a scalloped circle cut from copper cardstock.

7. Embellish as desired. I didn't add any additional embellishments ~ I didn't want to hamper your creativity. Ideas for additional embellishments ~ flowers, holly, snowflakes, charms (to hang from the ornament), glitter, micro beads, etc.

8. Twist the two ends of the wired tinsel to form a loop for hanging.

And here you go!

vintage ruffled ornament 010

This is a really fun ornament not only for the tree but it looks super on packages, on wreaths, or make several and add to an evergreen garland, strung on lace or ribbon, etc. The uses are endless!

ENJOY!!


8 comments:

  1. Very cute, quick & easy. I think I'll make some and put on my candy gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable for a package topper! Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...that would make a super package decoration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni, I love this ruffled ornament. Will certainly try it but will have to improvise as where I live there is no such thing as glass glitter.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Roni -

    I really like this one. I love the festive, antique look of it. I can see doing this for any season, just alter the photo in the center. LOVE THIS!!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ornament is fabulous. You are so clever and generous with your talent and ideas. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice n easy! luv it! I need that type of glitter I think...so much prettier! ty Cher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting this! I have been making a ton of these paper rosettes but using a much more complicated method. Now I can make them easier! Love it :) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!