Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Joseph's Coat Stamping Technique Examples

Well today I have a few examples to share with you using the Joseph's Coat Rubber Stamping Technique I shared yesterday.

Phinny asked a very good question about removing the excess ink yesterday and I wanted to share it with everyone. She asked how to remove the excess ink without removing the black ink from the surrounding areas. (She had been using a baby wipe to do so.)

A ~ First and foremost, I never use anything that is wet or damp to remove the ink...90% of the time you'll end up taking more of the ink from the background than the embossed area. I always use a dry cotton cloth, kleenx or paper towel. They are usually very absorbent and do a great job. One trick that I have learned over the years is to frequently change the area of the cloth you're using to wipe the excess ink away. If you use one spot too long you'll eventually just begin pushing the ink around the embossed areas, never really removing anything at all.

I did want to mention that the brighter your initial layer of inks the brighter the finished product will be. If your color shades run in the pastel tones, the deep dark black ink will somewhat wash out the colors even further leaving you with a less than bright result. Just something to keep in mind when you're adding the base coat of inks.

I also have a special treat...one of Ink Stains followers ~ Murielle immediately tried this technique and was kind enough to share her results with us :)

Murielle said..."When I saw today's technique I was sure I would try it as soon as I had a few minutes for myself and since you invite us to share I decided to do so. I used shabby shutters, mustard seed and a little bit of milled lavander to suit the stamp. this stamp is from a company based in the east of France. I applied the inks with a brayer on a watercolour paper leftover but i rubbed the black ink directly on it.my first try was not so good because I didn't allow the inks to dry completely and the clear embossing powder made a mess of the pattern (I don't know if it is the correct word). "

Yep, that's the right word Murielle ~ and thanks so much for sharing it looks great!!!

Murielle Joseph's Coat

And here are a few finished examples using this technique.....

See life...

joseph's coat examples009

Let's Do Lunch ATC

joseph's coat examples007

Now, the next two examples use the same exact rubber stamp image (100 Proof Press) with two totally different color schemes. I did this to demonstrate how color can drastically change the finished image.

However long the night...

joseph's coat examples003

Spring is in the air!

joseph's coat examples013

Hope this gives you a few ideas on how to incorporate this very fun technique into your art!

Tomorrow I'll be sharing a "Faux" Joseph's Coat technique I came up with as an alternative to the norm. I hope you'll all stop back and check it out ;)

Till then friends ~ TTFN!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi..I think these are great and look easy enuf...I have been playing with utee..not much success I'm afraid..but..I will keep trying! ty Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni, absolutely lovely examples again!

    xx,
    nunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks a great technique. I WILL have to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to clarify - and reading over my last comment, I see how it is confusing, I switched from a baby wipe to a paper towel or soft cloth and still was removing ink from the main b/g areas so my pieces were turning out blotchy.

    I think the key that roni mentioned in this post is to keep using new, clean parts of the cloth so as not to just end up moving ink around.

    When I use white EP and do a resist technique such as this one, I find that sometimes the ink dries on the embossed areas and leaves little mottled blotches of colored in. Hence the baby wipe to clean the embossed areas off. But, again, not a good idea since it also removes the inked b/g. So what to use to remove the ink blotches from the embossed areas? I think I can answer my own question - wipe the excess ink off with a soft cloth right away before it drys and leaves those spots.

    Duh!

    Love all of these techniques, Roni. Well done as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!