Friday, June 12, 2020

Origami Sea Life...Whales!

Hello Friends - Recently Rinea added a new color of foiled paper - Cobalt! You all know how much I love blue.  Well that color sparked an idea...actually several. The color reminded me of some lovely photos of whales that I had seen recently so I thought it might be fun to try and make a few of my own. So I set about searching YouTube for some origami whales and this is what I came up with...


These were so much fun to make!

Just a note - you can make any of these whales in a variety of sizes - all you have to do is change the size of the square of foiled paper that you begin with. The large flat whale was made using an 8x8" square, the two smaller 3D whales were made using a 6x6" piece of foiled paper.


The first big guy is a flat whale that would work great on cards, in scrapbooks, on signs or banners, etc.  The video to create this whale can be found here - Whale #1


The next origami whale reminds me a bit of a humpback whale. The great part about using foiled paper is that you can actually pose your creations with ease. I bent the flippers around so that they held the whale off the table just a bit.  Another benefit of using the foiled paper for origami is that you don't have to work so hard at creases and making the paper hold it's shape. The nature of foiled paper takes care of that with little effort.  This whale can be found here - Whale #2


The final whale I have to share with you looks like a sperm whale - imo.  It is different from most origami that I have made as it actually cuts the tail apart to create this look. The foil has again allowed me to pose him just so.  The video for making this origami whale is here - Whale #3.  You will notice if you watch the video that I positioned his tail and flippers a bit differently than what he did in the video.  I wanted mine to stand on it's own and look more 3D than his.

Just a note about using the foiled paper for origami. Many times in origami some folds are opened and closed quite often. This may expose the white paper center of the foil in the form of tiny cracks. When this happens, once you have finished all of the folding simply run a marker over the creases to hide the cracking. Works like a charm.




1 comment:

  1. Your whale looks awesome Roni. I dislike the color blue, but for those that do like blue.... this is a pretty Rinea paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!