Monday, December 7, 2015

Faux Ceramic Glazed Ornaments

Happy Monday Everyone!  I hope you all had a lovely weekend.  Today I wanted to share a fun project with you - how to get the look of those beautiful glazed ceramic ornaments which can be expensive to buy and even more expensive to make!

Originally this started off as a challenge from Imagine Crafts and our Holiday Family Traditions.  One of the biggest traditions in our family is baking cookies.  Of course I couldn't make a batch of cookies for you all - that would take a while so I decided the next best thing would be to make a batch of Salt Dough Cookie ornaments instead.  As I was messing around with various products I stumbled on a really cool combination that gave my ordinary salt dough ornaments the look of glazed ceramic ornaments!

Here are just a few examples of the cookie ornaments I came up with....


These were made by pressing an embossing folder into the dough while rolling them out.


This cookie ornament was made by stamping into the dough with StazOn ink.  The one on the left has been touched up with White StazOn ink and the right left as plain dough.


These ornaments were stamped...


and these were also stamped.

All of the ornaments were colored using StazOn Studio Glaze with a coat of Goosebumps Texture Spray over top giving that extra glossy shine like the glazed ceramic ornaments.

For complete directions and a supply list check out the tutorial here - Holiday Cookies Galore!



4 comments:

  1. What fun! I'm imagining all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I'm imagining all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful and really do look ceramic! I would have guess clear embossing powder. Surprised me with the studio glaze and goosebumps. I have goosebumps, but never used the staz on studio glaze... I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful not to let your pets get at the salt ornaments. Dogs or cats can die from consuming a large amount of salt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!