Monday, July 14, 2014

ICE Resin - Yellow Hardener Test Charms

Well, you know from my last few posts that I've been playing with ICE Resin.  It was actually an experiment because I had bought a couple 8oz. ICE Resin kits and when I went to open up one of the packages I noticed the hardener (Part B) had turned yellow!  I bought it though Blitzy ...  I'm not sure they would do anything about it since they are one of those short term deal places so I figured if it didn't work I was out 60.00!!!  I don't know about you but that's not a good feeling.

NOTE: It was stored in a drawer away from sunlight so I don't think that was the issue...not sure what caused it.

I set about my test ~ measuring, then mixing and once mixed with part A it didn't look nearly as yellow as it did in the bottle.  As you know I used it to make Resin Paper....  The layer of resin on the paper was so thin that there is no yellowing what so ever.



I also made Cast Resin Pieces...  The cast pieces did have a yellow coloration to them.  I'm assuming this is because it was such a thick layer of resin.  I don't mind it so much with these pieces because I knew I was going to color them up a bit with inks.  I think if you were going to mix in a colorant you might have a bit of trouble with it because the yellow tint would change the colors added.  You'd have to compensate for the yellow when mixing.



and I also made Resin Filled Charms....




and I'm happy to report that all of the charms turned out perfectly!  They don't look yellow and it set up just fine.  I know some people report to have trouble with it getting gooey or not setting up properly but I have found that accurate measuring and mixing is the key.  If you get those two things right it works every time.

And here's what they look like...no yellow at all!  I used images with pale pastels for most of the charms because I figured if the yellow was going to be an issue it would really show up on these images.  Luckily they all turned out great :)




So, if you've got some ICE Resin (or any resin for that matter) and the hardener has turned yellow...no worries, it should work just fine!   I'm thinkin' I am going to keep these for an upcoming charm swap....(hint hint hint!).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiment. That is good to know that if the hardener has turned yellow it will still work fine. I have not played with resin because of the mixing and being precise. However, I've noticed a few times when I've used Dimensional Magic on paper it has cracked. :-( At a later date I'll have to try the Ice Resin.

    By the way your charms look great! Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, just found this :-) My Ice Resin has been sitting on the shelf for three years. I usually use little WIndow resin, wanted to try the Ice Resin but never got around to it. The hardener is yellow, so I tried it with colors and glitter and it still works beautifully with that. It cures perfectly well. May I ask where you got these images? They are so cute! Bye :-) Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!