Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Butterfly Canvas w/Dina Wakley Acrylics

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

I hope you're all having a wonderful day.  I have a fun canvas to share with you today using Dina Wakley Acrylic Paints.  These paints are lots of fun because they are a heavy body acrylic which basically means they hold their shape better when dry as opposed to regular acrylics.

I am going to stick with just a few colors...Lemon, Tangerine and Ruby.  I will also be using white gesso as well.  



I have a small canvas that was originally intended as a practice canvas for another medium...of course I didn't practice ~ I just jumped in and did my own thing so I had this canvas left over.  I applied a really quick layer of gesso with the palette knife.


I squirted two dots of Lemon onto the wet gesso and smeared it about...


For my next color (Tangerine) I squirted a bit onto my craft mat and picked it up from there as needed.


Smeared it about with no real design in mind...


Then I added just a tiny bit of the Ruby on the tip of my knife...red is a very powerful color which is why I used just a tiny bit.  I wanted just small bits here and there.


After I had applied the red I dabbed a bit of gesso onto some bubble wrap and stamped it onto the wet canvas.  I wish I could show you just how much dimension and texture was created by using the palette knife and bubble wrap.


After all of the paint & gesso had dried I stamped a bit of text (Just For Fun Rubber Stamps) onto the canvas using St. Valentine (red) StazOn Midi.


Then I started stamping my butterflies (Deep Red Stamps) with black StazOn.  I did make and use a mask to protect the initial butterfly image.


Here's what it looks like so far....


I also edged the canvas with the black StazOn to add some definition to the canvas.


And finally I added a drop shadow using oil pastels and a bit of Black Stickles glitter glue to the butterfly bodies.

 

And here is my finished canvas! I left the background canvas completely blank/white because I really wanted the butterflies to pop.


Hope you've enjoyed this project!
Be sure to stop back in again soon.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! I love it!!! Although is a long time since I started following your posts, it's my first time on commenting, and I'm sure it ain't gonna be the last one!! Thanks for your great ideas!!!

    Kisses from Spain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty .. this is not something I have tried before , but I am inspired to try after seeing this . Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The black butterflies stand out beautifully against the colorful background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore vos essais, le rendu est magnifique et cela donne envie de tenter !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this project a lot! Your canvas is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I did enjoy this project, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to have to pick up a piece of canvas at a thrift store and try this. :-) My apartment could use some artwork.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!