Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Soot Stamping ATC's

Soot stamping is so versatile, I wanted to show you a few more things you can do with your soot stamped images besides just using them plain.

Here are 4 ATC sized pieces of glossy cardstock I held over the flame for various amounts of time. You can see by moving the cards around at different speeds and angles you get a wonderful array of abstract patterns.

When you move the cardstock around quickly there is a lighter coating of soot but there will be more of a pattern adding depth. (upper left corner)

The slower the cardstock is moved around the coating of soot becomes very heavy and dense revealing virtually no pattern at all. (lower right hand corner)


Adding color to your soot stamped image can be done after you have stamped & sealed it with and acrylic spray.

This card was stamped and sealed. When it was dry I off-set stamped the bird and sentiment using Archival Jet Black Ink. I also stamped the flowers at this time. After a quick shot of heat with my heat tool I applied Interference Violet & Green Perfect Pearls and finished it off with a bit of Stickles Glitter Glue.



This card was made by stamping a large map stamp in the soot then sealed. I stamped the auto image onto an acetate sheet using Archival Jet Black Ink. When it was dry I mounted it over the map image and added the label. It was edged with Silver Posh Metallic Pen.



This card was stamped and sealed as usual. Once dry I applied Lettuce, Meadow and Pesto Alcohol Inks. Once the image was completely covered and dried I flicked Blending Solution over the entire image, let it set for a few seconds and blotted off. This allows the soot pattern to show through in some areas.


This final card is my favorite! I stamped the soot with a highly detailed paisley background stamp and sealed. I applied a thin coating of Wild Plum Alcohol Ink and let dry. I then stamped the woman image on acetate, cut the image out & added the gold edging and flower. It is very simple but very elegant!
So, as you can see...the vintage feel of a soot stamped image can be spiced up a bit with various color mediums. Other color options could be watercolor pencils, markers or crayons; acrylic paint colorwash; distress inks; etc. The possibilities are endless!! Let you imagination take hold and go where it will :)
Have fun playing and be sure to post a link to your creations in the comments section!!
TTFN - Ink on my friends, Ink on!!

8 comments:

  1. hi Roni!
    just wanted to let you know i am reading all of your entries---- i'm here i may be silent but i am here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Roni, those are fabulous. It's funny, I started playing around tonight making some soot stamped ATCs. Came back here to see what kind of sealer you used and find you were busy making ATCs as well. I'll show you mine tomorrow. Thanks for such a fun technique. Poor Fred keeps asking if I'm burning the house down yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool. I'll have to try that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the house is still standing and here's what I ended up with. So much fun!
    http://lisadixon.typepad.com/my_own_form_of_amusement/2007/11/burning-the-mid.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa, those are so cool :) I'm so glad you gave it a try. It's way fun once you get going.

    That is so funny about Fred! I have to "burn" my paper when Eric is at work, he gets sooooo paranoid about an open flame in my craft area - LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really diggin' that bird ATC - I love the colors =) I also like the truck and the - oh, you know I love them all! Great job woman =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog, and I am one of you biggest fans!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous!! I love the way you used color on the one with the eagle. It's really striking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!