Friday, May 31, 2019

Long Time...

Hello Everyone...

It's been a while since I have posted. A friend suggested I post as my situation is something I'm sure we all deal with from time to time. 

I'm sure that some of you who have been visiting for a while know that we own our own business. It started out as a repair business (industrial sewing machines) many years ago where dh would go around to all of the mfg. in the tri-state area working on various companies sewing machines. Well with many businesses going to Mexico (after the NAFTA deal in 94) and several mergers since that time there aren't many companies that sew left in our area so we have transitioned into a specialty sew show. Dh still does repair work but on a much smaller scale. Now we take small or unique jobs that isn't feasible for companies to sew on their own. It works out pretty well, it's a family affair as our business consists of my dh, myself, our youngest son and his wife. 

I have a few jobs I work on but aside from those I fill in when/where necessary. Recently our business has been booming which is a great thing aside from the fact that I have almost no creative mojo when I get home from work. None, zip, zero, nada!  At first I just dabbled and made something here and there but as time went on it was like oh I'll make something tomorrow or maybe I'll stay up late and craft or .....  well, you know all of the excuses. It has gone on that way for a while about the last 8 weeks now and I'm to the point where I'm now almost afraid to try something for fear I've forgotten how to create.  Crazy I know but it's how I feel.

On one hand I'm afraid to jump back in  and on the other I feel so guilty for not crafting and not sharing anything with you all. I have a beautiful room, LOADS of supplies to last 3 life times and yet I come into my room and sit there just looking at stuff.  I've even bought more stuff in hopes it might get me jump-started.  

The other side of this coin is Design Team projects. For some reason these feel like a challenge to me and I really get into it. I've had such fun making those projects I don't understand or know why it isn't carrying over to my blog crafting. 

Another aspect that has me down is the underlying negativity going on right now in the business end of arts and crafts. Ellison (Sizzix's parent company) is suing 5 (maybe more now) companies for patent infringement on die-cutting.  It's pathetic in my mind because they didn't invent it, it was not new to the market, they just happened to pick up on the fact that nobody patented it and did so.  The fact that they waited YEARS after their patent was approved to start litigation is what really fries my potatoes. They "claim" they just found out that these other companies were infringing on the patent which is total BS. These companies weren't making the dies under the table and selling them on the black market for craps sake...they've been doing it all along...some even before Sizzix started selling them which is what gets me going.  It's just so wrong and it leaves a really bad taste in  my mouth for the company as a whole. I haven't bought anything sizzix since I found out about it and I'm not sure I ever will.

There are also a few companies that are going though changes where they have treated their design teams like crap, taking advantage of and not reimbursing them for work.  It's a really sad situation for those folks which also puts a sour note on that aspect of art for me.  Let me say though that I feel so blessed to be working with some great companies so luckily I haven't had to deal with those types of issues.

I have a theory and question for you all.  First my theory - I have been creating for the blog for soooo long now I feel I've show so many techniques that I would start repeating myself. Let me say this - I am not one for using an old technique, giving it a different name and calling it a "BRAND NEW" technique. I see that so many times with so many blogger/artists it drives me nuts - if it looks like a duck...etc.  I also don't get into copying famous artists styles. I realize that it's an accepted practice but sometimes I feel like I see the same basic project 110x over and it gets old. I don't have the time to just sit and experiment like I used to so coming up with new techniques to share is less and less likely.  I never want you to think I'm just repeating the same thing over and over so I almost feel like I've lost my direction.  

Mom, Morgan and I are going to have a crafty day tomorrow and I'm hoping that gets me somewhat pointed in the right direction. I have been pulling things out for the last couple days for projects I want us to make...it's been fun and I am really looking forward to it.  Morgan wanted to do something with glitter so I have a fun idea to go with that, Mom just wanted to play so I've got another idea for that and I'm just ready to create.  I will let you know how it goes and take pics :)

My question is what would you like to see?  Do you mind repeated techniques? Do you want to see more step by steps or just finished projects?  I don't do videos...I get nervous and do lots of um's and ah's so sorry that's out.  Any suggestions will be welcome!

41 comments:

  1. I say do what you love & enjoy your creativity (and creative time) and don't worry about repeat techniques. And, enjoy your family time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let it happen! Do what makes you happy. I'm always repeating techniques but my cards still turn out very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I feel so much better after reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

      Delete
  3. Do what you love, chances are we will love it too. The whole sizzix thing makes me sick, I'm not buying anything sizzix either. That includes Tim Holtz, I wish he would cut his ties with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t mind repeated techniques. It might have been something I forgot about, or you might have an idea for new materials that make it easier or different.

    Also, there are always new stampers out there that are eager to learn the old techniques!!

    I just posted a short tutorial for a card fold that is not brand new, but where I saw it, the blogger both used a different orientation, and did not post the dimensions and where to score, and I know that keeps many people from actually making the project. So I posted it along with a link to her card. Honestly, she probably didn’t come up with it either.

    I agree with not saying you invented something if you did not (I’ve seen this done by the biggest names too). However, sharing tips and new twists on old techniques is fine, especially if you link over to where you got your idea.

    Sorry you are lacking mojo! Hope it is back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi for your words and for taking the time to share. I think just talking about it has helped.

      Delete
  5. Dear darling Roni, I have been following long time now. Your blog is always a great place to be and your projects are always lovely. I am glad the DT work is inspiring to you. Your makes are fabulous. Whatever you share will be fine with me. Roll out those old techniques. I am sure I have forgotten them and they will wow me all over again. Enjoy your crafty time with family. Love and Hugz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ionabunny...you're such a sweetie! (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  6. Hi Roni, first I hope you can find your mojo. It is frustrating when I loose mine, I hope you all have a great craft day. Next, you can post whatever you like on your blog..... finished projects, step-by-steps, old techniques (I enjoy those as I know that I have forgotten about many of then, and they may spark an idea for me), or chat about your day. Either way, I will still read your blog.

    Thanks for the heads up about Sizzix. I didn’t know anything about it. That fries my taters too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! I so appreciate your kind words and I think it helped just to get it out and not keep it bottled up and festering.

      Delete
  7. Roni, creativity is not constant. It works like the tide. When there is an ebb, there is a flow and tomorrow is going to be high tide for you!!
    And old techniques? A tool is a tool; doesn't matter how old it is. I looked back at some of my first cards (Shadow block stamping, pearl-x on versamark, glitter lace, etc) and started using some of them again. Granted, some were dated but most were not. I consider seeing those again a refresh, not a re-do. Kinda like listening to the oldies....
    Sissix is out for me to; I dropped Tim Holtz last year. Thanks for sharing all you do. Sometimes we get worried not hearing from you even though many of us are silent on this end.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wanda...that is a great way to look at it, something I never thought about. I feel like the tide has turned and just talking about it has helped.

      Delete
  8. Roni - One of the things I've always loved (and looked forward to seeing) are your comparisons of different products. And no, I don't mind seeing old techniques at all! I've retired and now have time to actually use some of them. :^) I learn with a combination of visual and written instructions, so your tutorials have been great as-is. Hope you find your mojo again - sometimes all it takes is sitting in your happy place, picking up a piece of paper and one little thing that you want to play with. You've been missed. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam...I'm glad you like the written tutorials - it is my favorite too :) Thanks about missing me...that makes me feel good. I think just talking about it has helped get over the hump.

      Delete
  9. Go with the flow. Mojo comes and mojo goes and mojo comes again. Repeating yourself is not a bad thing. Often it is not exactly the same and those new to the blog will appreciate it and those that aren't often like a refresher. I appreciate your open-ness and am always amazed at your creativity - whether you feel it or not. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ciloma! I think it is finally coming back. I think I was just stuck in my head and letting it all out has helped.

      Delete
  10. Do what you love. Repetition isn't bad. There are many people who never saw your past posts and are new to your art techniques. I personally enjoy seeing old techniques used in new projects. Enjoy the process is my motto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I think I am getting back into it. I like your motto and I think I need to adopt it as well :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Roni,
    I think this happens to all Crafters. I know from time to time, it has happened to me. You need this crafty day with family and friends. It's a no stress way to get you back on track.
    As for your blog, I love to see what you do and how. I don't care how old or new the technique is, I just love to come visit and see what you are working on! I love your chit chat too. It's nice to feel like I get a nice letter from you when I read your blog posts. I always look forward to it.
    On the video note, you don't have to talk. You can just do a video of the process and then speed it up. I know I just love to watch those kind of videos so you see what and how. Then just list what you have used. You can email me and I'll send you some ideas of videos to watch to show you what I mean. You hang in there, you will get your mojo back!!!! I promise!. Many hugs to you dear friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...The craft day did help as did just getting all of the pent up anxiety and frustrations out with this post. I finally feel like I am getting back into the groove. I like the idea of no talking videos. I will drop you a line :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Roni any techniques are fine with me! I still do pocket letters but I miss your altered art swaps etc seems no one is doing them because of postal rates etc but my thought is any hobby has costs so why not share your art create and learn from others in the process As well! I miss all the art friends I made through here and alpha stamps and redlead that have not held any for long time! Wish they all would have them again too! I didn’t know about Sizzix ... I haven’t bought from them in ages I switched to more of spellbinders and Elizabeth crafts simon says and Sue wilson dies and memorybox and Marianne crafts and the new Heirloom ones as favorites these days! Take care when you are ready your mojo will get creative again!! We are rooting for you!!! I keep my altered art tin with your love of pencils ✏️ still on my refrigerator you swapped with me for the good times reminds me why we make art in the first place it never gets old only we do! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ina! Yes I miss the swaps as well...it's so much fun to see everyone's interpretation of a project/idea. Maybe after the summer is over I will see if anyone is interested in a swap of some sort. I really loved doing them and hope there will be interest. Thanks again sweetie...I appreciate it!

      Delete
  13. I'm, not opposed to repeats from techniques previously done. There are so many possibilities any more that it helps to have someone jiggle my memory and get me using some of those supplies that have been overlooked for a while. I've been doing paper crafts for over 35 years and as the craft has changed, many of the original things get forgotten.
    I totally agree with you on the lawsuit for dies. As far as I can remember, the first ones were by Spellbinders and the wizard. Some companies are just plain greedy.
    Thanks for all your blogs. I do enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candy! That's good to hear. I haven't been at paper crafting as long as you have but I agree, the craft has changed so maybe I can dig back through and spice up some of the old.

      Yes, greedy is a great way to put it and I agree, Spellbinders was the first that I recall as well.

      Delete
  14. Roni, Take care of your family first. Then engage your artsy side when it strikes you. And absolutely do what you love. Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy. I read your posts no matter what you present.

    I totally agree with you about the whole Sizzix thing. I've never been so disappointed in a company. How can you say you patented something that's been around for years and used commonly by everyone?

    love and hugs to you my friend. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! I appreciate your being here my friend :) Yeah, Sizzix has really soured me on their whole deal - it's scary because they actually called out some company designers who were using "their process" for die-cutting in videos! Kinda scary to think they would stoop so low - most design team members don't make big bucks for what they do, they do it because they like to share art.

      (((((HUGS)))))) and thanks again sweetie!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely couldn't get a women/girl with any inteligence to even look in their direction.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ronnie, I enjoy all your work whether I see it in person or online. I think your ideas are so creative, whether it's composition of the design, choice of colors, or outright different techniques. I love all of it.

    The cards and card fronts that you sent to me are amazing, and I learn a lot just by looking at and handling them, before I send them onward for another person to enjoy. And the cards are really helping me in my life of personal stress and trouble – – both as enjoyments in themselves, and as a way I can keep in contact with friends and family, to make them smile. Believe me, they enjoy them, even though they know I didn't make them myself. They tell me so!

    Keep on creating, whichever way makes you happiest. – – Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the cards...it's nice to know someone appreciates them and can share them with others :)

      Delete
  18. Dear Roni, Anything you do is an inspiration to me! Please keep creating - repetition or not! I probably wouldn't remember it anyway (old timers disease!) LOL. I have been in the same boat with not blogging because of taking care of aging parents. I need to get my MOJO back too! See you create will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna! We'll get it back together ;)

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  19. Keep in doing what you're doing please. If it continues to make you hapoy, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaye...It makes me happy. I guess I just had to get all of the fears and crazy thoughts out of my head to move past it.

      Delete
  20. I love your work, because you are one talented artist. Videos are okay, but I really prefer to see a completed project with step by step tutorials that include measurements. Look forward to whatever is next from you.
    Thanks, Jean ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Jean. That's so very sweet of you. I prefer it that way as well and glad to hear others do too!

      Delete
  21. Roni, Ive been with you since near the beginning. I love everything you do. Doesn't matter to me whether it is something old or new. I'm always looking at something and just amazed at the different aspects of it. I just wanted to say, thanks for being Roni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, ((((((HUGS))))))) Thanks sweetie! That makes me feel good :)

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!