Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Pigment Powders & Embossing Folders

Today I wanted to put a twist on using pigment powders (Color Burst, Brusho, Nuance, etc) paired with embossing folders.  So many times I see where people sprinkle the powders on the embossing folder then spritz with water...  It does produce some pretty results but I thought it would be fun to see how it would change the look if I spritzed the paper with water instead... and here's how it turned out!



I love how it turned out, the colors seem to be more vibrant and saturated using this method of delivering the water.  This technique uses less water so more of the colors soak into the paper rather than getting squished out of the folder as it does with the other method.


In this close up photo you can see how the individual little specks of color are absorbed into the paper rather than being blended or washed away.   A fun alternative to an already great technique!

Here's what I did....


I started off by trimming a piece of watercolor paper to size then spritzed it with water and set it aside.  This gives the water a chance to soak into the paper a bit.  You want to the paper wet/damp, not dripping.


While the water was being absorbed on the paper I went ahead and sprinkled the desired colors of pigment powder over the embossing folder.


I then placed the piece of watercolor paper in the folder, closed it up and ran it through my Big Shot.  And this is how it turned out!


Here is the orange/yellow piece...



I wanted to see what it would look like if I rubbed a coordinating ink over the embossed areas on the blue example....



Again, another fun result!  
The inked embossed areas really set off the pretty pigment powders.

So there you go, a fun twist on a very popular technique
and the best part is that this will work with any of the pigment powders on the market.

7 comments:

  1. Love this look and the inking gives a whole other dimension, definitely going to give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.. looks great! May I share this on FB?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for being willing to experiment and share the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I hadn't even heard about using the pigment powders with embossing folders but I LOVE this look! Can't wait to give it a try and thanks so much for letting us know about a new way to approach it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!