Thursday, May 28, 2015

Ink Stained Gesso

Well, it's Thursday...no the beginning of the week but definitely not the weekend yet either.  Took my MIL to the eye dr today so I had some time to think about what I wanted to share with you today.  May's Technique Challenge over on the Club Scrap Blog is Mixed Media with the focus on gesso.

One of the shared techniques was to use stencils, gesso and either ink or Gelatos - well, that wasn't a good name so I decided that if you use inks it should be called Ink Stained Gesso ;)

So here goes....


1. Position a stencil over your cardstock panel; tape the edges down to hold it all in place, use a trowel and spread the gesso over the stencil.  Remove the stencil and let it dry.


2. Once the gesso has dried, re position the stencil over the gesso.  Now take it from me, if your stencil is like mine you might want to place a couple pencil marks to show you the area you used.  My stencil had 4 corners and they were all different...flip the stencil over and you've got 4 more variations!   Needless to say it took me a while to figure out just how I had it when I was spreading the gesso out.


Decide what colors you'd like to stain your gesso.  I went with a quartet of Memento blues - Summer Sky, Bahama Blue, Danube Blue and Paris Dusk.


3. Use a sponge dauber to ink up the gesso.  I started at the bottom of the stenciled area and worked from dark and used lighter inks as I went up the design.


Here it is after it was all inked up!  Love that look.


And here's what I did with it!  
Fun fun fun!

Supplies:

ClubScrap.com - Paper, Stamps, Stencil
Deco Art - Gesso
IMAGINE Crafts featuring Tsukineko - Memento Ink - Summer Sky, Bahama Blue, Danube Blue and Paris Dusk; Trowel; Delicata Silver Shimmer; Sponge Daubers

7 comments:

  1. Roni, do you have a dauber for every color of your inks? teehee
    Beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, and the name is catchy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, and the name is catchy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni, what a great and easy technique. Thanks for showing us that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! I thought I was the only one who had a difficult time lining up the stencil after the gesso dried. I love ink staining or using my airbrush over stenciled gesso. Thanks for sharing but now I need to order more of those yummy blue inks. ;-) With your last few posts you might actually convert me to using blue more often. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!