Sunday, January 17, 2010

4 Generation Farm Auction Photos

I told you that we were heading to a farm auction yesterday ~ well I have pics to share! I don't remember if I mentioned that the farm had been in the same family for at least 4 generations which also means there was 4 generations of treasures there. If you've read my blog for long you know how much I love vintage goodies ~ WELL, this auction was one I just couldn't miss.

I took my camera because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford much if anything because the quality, quantity and just the array of items was going to draw a HUGE crowd. I was right! There were hundreds of people there and just about everything went sky high but photos are free and I took loads! (Guess I wasn't the only one with the same idea...dh said he saw 2-3 other people with cameras too!)

Here are some of my favorite images of just a fraction of the goodies that were there....

Enjoy!

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 002
I so loved this tree!! It went for I believe around $275 or so. Well worth it to someone since it was very original and still had all of it's branches.
Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 001

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 004

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 011

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 012
There were like 10-12 out-buildings (buildings other than the house & barn) and this was my favorite. I'm not exactly sure what it's original use was...there were several people debating that as a matter of fact. I would have used it for a summer kitchen myself.
The building had 3 levels ~ the ground level was at the door where you walked in the building (opposite side of the photo) - about a 15x6 area. (that is the space where the shakes go to the ground with the 2 windows). From that area there were two sets of stairs. One set of stairs led down into what would be a root cellar/preserve area (if it were mine). It was the area you see made of stone walls with a couple of inset windows. The entire basement of the building which was set up with 3-4' wide ledges where I'm sure you could stack veggies or have room for shelves to hold preserves and canned goods. The second set of steps led up to the main room which had a bank of windows on the opposite side of the building. It was a large open room with a stove on one wall and a built in work space under the windows.
I was completely taken with this old building (as if you couldn't tell - lol!!).
Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 020

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 029
Now I don't know much about glass, ceramics or potter type stuff but I loved the look of this particular piece. She is just beautiful.

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 034
Really cool, very VERY old hope chest...notice the date carved in the lower right corner ~ 1824!

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 037

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 047
This cabinet was in the entry way room to the cool bldg. above.

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 048
I SOOOOO wanted this little storage shelf but no such luck!

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 052

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 053
Cool old clock huh? Love the exposed gears!

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 054
I wanted these too but ds called me at the moment they auctioned these off (for in my kitchen...it's set up along the lines of the Cracker Barrel) and I missed them!! :( Oh well, just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 055

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 056

Denny Schafer Auction 1-10 061

Dh bought an old chainsaw like what his grandfather used to sell, dh & ds ended up with a piece of handmade machinery that they are going to turn into a mini hay baler (something they have been talking about doing for quite some time now) and I bought a vintage clock case with a cool door in it (I'm going to alter!) and some cool old poultry books from the 30's!
All in all it was a very fun all be it COLD day!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Roni -

    What really wonderful things! I loved the old metal milk jugs and the crock jars. Also really liked the things that looked like 2 large metal frames. There was just so much to look at and explore, you must have had a blast! I love going to events like this, but I seldom am able to afford anything. But it is so nice to look.
    Thanks for sharing the photos. Even some of those would make nice still lives!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought to take pictures at a farm auction. What a fabtabulus idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really really need that shelve stack too ... is n't that just the coolest set of shelves ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That storage shelve was so cool!! Probably my fav of all the stuff, although there was some pretty neat stuff there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great things. if only we new the story behind some of them. Wouldn't that make great pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these great pictures - what a wonderful auction!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh all those little cubbyholes and storage spaces.
    Clearly a generation that threw nothing away.
    Can we borrow the mini baler once it's finished?

    great idea you took the photo's so we can drool over the goodies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what wonderful photos, it took me back to my childhood and the farm where we used to play ! all gone now unfortunately. I am a hoarder of all kinds of stuff, junk to many but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! I just bought your book and love it. Kind regards
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an incredible place, how fab it must have been to go and see all this old stuff, all that history, its just amazing. I hope most of the things were saved and then cleaned up, its a shame when they get disguarded. I wish I had been able to go , but its a bit too far for me LOL , Ive enjoyed calling back to your blog, Jaqi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Niesamowity, piękny i twórczy blog. Podziwiam Panią i żałuję, że nie mogę z bliska zobaczyć choć połowy tych cudowności.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!