Saturday, July 16, 2016

Stencil Girl & Imagine Crafts Christmas in July Blog Hop!

Welcome to the Stencil Girl & Imagine Crafts Christmas in July Blog Hop!  I am delighted to be able to combine products from two wonderful companies!


I decided to step out of the box and create something a little different for the upcoming holiday season....


I stenciled a decorative pillow for my living room.  I like to change up my home decor for the various holidays and I thought this would be a great addition to my decorations this year.  Actually, I'm in the process of making a couple variations on this pillow so that I can scatter them on both of our couches.

Here's what I did...


1. I started off by ironing the canvas material so I had a nice flat surface to work with.


2. I taped off all but the largest flower on the Woodcut Roses stencil.

3. Dabbed a circle of Dandelion Memento Luxe ink on the canvas where I wanted my largest flower to reside.


4. Tape the flower stencil over the yellow circle and begin adding layers of ink.  I started off with Angel Pink.


5. Add a second layer of ink using Love Letter Luxe and finally Rhubarb Stalk.

NOTE: While the inks are still wet they are blendable.  Once you iron the inks are set and no longer blendable.


And here's how it turned out!


6. I repeated these steps for the 2 additional flowers and leaves I added  to the design. 

7. Iron the flowers and leaves to set the ink.


8.  I wanted to add a couple of pine cones above the flowers and I started off by using the inside of the Pine Cone Woodcut stencil to ink up the center of the cone.  I used a bit of Rich Cocoa, Espresso Truffle and Northern Pines Memento Luxe Inks.


9. A second pine cone was added in the same fashion. Both pine cones were then ironed to set the ink. 

10. I used the Pine Cone Woodcut negative to add a bit of color around the edges of the pine cone to fill it out.  The pine cones were then ironed a second time to set this layer of ink.


11. In the corner opposite of the flowers I inked the Allegro Clef Mini Stencil with a bit of Espresso Truffle and ironed.

12. Rembrandt's Words stencil was used to add the background along with Flannel Grey Luxe ink.  After the entire panel was covered it was ironed to set the inks.


13. At this point I decided it needed a bit of greenery in the upper corner so I used a FantaStix to apply Apple Green All Purpose Ink in wispy strokes to give the hint of pine needles behind the pine cones and among the flowers.

14. Finally for a bit of sparkle I used a FantaStix to apply Champagne Mist All Purpose Ink on the pine cones and Gold API to the centers of the flowers.

15. Stitch front and back together and stuff.



Here are a couple close ups of the pillow...


Supplies:

StencilGirl - Rembrandt's Words; Allegro Clef Mini; Woodcut Roses; Pine Cone Woodcut

Imagine - Memento Luxe Inks; All Purpose Inks; Sponge Dauber; FantaStix

Other: Canvas Material; Batting




What would a Blog Hop be without a GIVEAWAY??!!!
We'll be picking one lucky winner to receive $100 in Gift Certificates – a $50 Gift Certificate for StencilGirl Products and a $50 Gift Certificate for ImagineTake your time and visit each blog showcased July 9, 16, & 23 and leave your comments. The more blogs you comment on, the more chances you have to WIN! One comment per blog please.

You will have until Saturday, July 30th at 11:59PM Central Time 
to leave your comments.
The winner will be notified by email and announced on
StencilGirl's Facebook page on Sunday, July 31st.

Good luck everyone...Enjoy the Hop!

45 comments:

  1. This is very creative. It will look great with other holiday decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Roni, this is positively STUNNING! I like to change my decor per season (OR WHIM...LOL) as well as THIS is an amazing way to do it in a subtle yet beautiful way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roni, your pillow looks great. brings me back to when I used to stamp on t-shirts and sweatshirts...haven't done that in years.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration. I have some of those stencils and I might have to make a few pillows. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pine needles effect!

    (Annie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh! I did not know that you can heat set the Memento Lux inks!!!! So many possibilities just opened up. Thank you so much for a really sweet project that hat taught me a lot!

    evadotgronroosatcrickdotacdotuk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pillow and stenciling ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. delightful pillow...love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful way to customize your pillows for your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME! I really adore all your creations.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What can I say but 'It's beautiful'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, this is so pretty and will be a great holiday addition to your home decor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pillow, but you probably won't have time to rest on it come Christmas proper. At least you've got 4 months use first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the combinations of stencils - and I'm thinking I definitely need that pine cone one! Thanks for the creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a lovely pillow, and your technique is pure genius! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The use of the pinecone stencils is wonderful combined with the roses. This has a holiday feel but could be used year round. Great job the design is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this pretty pillow! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adore your pillow, and such a fantastic idea :)
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how this pillow looks like Christmas but could be home decor from Thanksgiving on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pillow
    It really doesn't look that overly-much like
    a Christmas pillow - I think you could
    use it at other times.
    thanks for sharing detailed instructions.
    txmlhl(at)yahoo (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the stencils on fabric ... what a great holiday design

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice & another Christmas gift idea! I did not know that inks needed to be heat set. I knew that about acrylics on fabrics, just never thought the inks needed it. Thanks. cbfigiel(at)gmail(dotcom)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful project, Roni! that pinecone stencil is now in my cart over at SG - because I love how you used it here. Thank you for the inspiration!
    susan(dot)chesley(at)yahoo(dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This pillow is so eye-catching that everyone who visits your home will want one! I'd never think to stencil on fabric to make a pillow...that just opens a whole new avenue for me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your idea of scattering holiday pillows on your furniture. Very festive!!mcsuetexas(at)yahoo(dotcom)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great project! I am currently prepping for sewing some pillows but never thought to incorporate stencils. Have you washed any of these stenciled décor items? How did they hold up in the wash?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great project!! Very original idea...love your pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely. I especially like the pine cone stencil...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your beautiful project. Thanks for sharing directions.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really pretty. Thanks for sharing your "how to."

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, how cool to have such a great handmade decoration in one's home! I may have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. GREAT IDEA! That would be a lot easier and faster than what I normally do (quilt, needle point or cross stitch). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This pillow is gorgeous!! Thanks for more inspiration to remind me to use all my stencils for fabric projects!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is just so beautiful and romantic. I love the words stenciling for the background. Lovely in every way!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!