Thursday, November 13, 2014

Watercoloring Digi Stamps

As promised I have a project for you today that incorporates digital stamps with watercolor paints.  

The digital image is Poppie from Susana's Custom Art and Card Design (SCACD for short).  The "stamp" set comes with Poppie the cute little fairy and a poppy stem with two flower heads.   Since you can manipulate digital images to fit your project it's very easy to get a different look every time.  For this project I knew I wanted to have a cluster of poppies behind the fairy so I started off by sizing one of the flowers facing it's normal direction but then I added a second mirror image a bit larger right beside it.  This left a space between for the fairy.   

I wanted a few extra flower heads to fill in behind the fairy so I cropped just the flower heads and re-sized them in two additional sizes (than what the full poppies were).  The reason there is such a space between the two full sized poppies and the head only images is because I wanted to use the full size poppies as my background so I left enough space for my diecut. 

The images were then printed on Strathmore 90lb cold press watercolor paper, (my printer is an HP Deskjet 3520) using the normal settings.  I also printed out the little fairy a bit smaller than the poppies - she was printed on Georgia Pacific cardstock. 

Since my image was a bit larger than the die, I used my exacto knife to cut around the outside poppy heads.  I then slipped the die behind the flowers and used a bit of washi tape to hold it in place.  I then ran it though my die-cutter.

I painted all of the digital images using Koi watercolors and a waterbrush.  

I painted "Poppie" the fairy with the same watercolor paints.

Since I'm using this for my Altered Playing Cards (week 9) I applied some gesso to my card over a piece of punchenella then painted it with a variety of Distress Paints.

Mounted the main image onto the card and then finished embellishing with the other flower heads and fairy.

And here's how she turned out....

As you can see none of the images were effected by the paints or water on either the watercolor paper or cardstock.  I applied at least 4 colors and several layers on the poppies so if the ink was going to run or smear it should have done so then.  I used the same colors on the fairy dress and again, the inks held up just find as did the paper.

It doesn't show up but I added a bit of clear Wink of Stella to her wings and shoes for a bit of sparkle.

So there you stamp images + watercolors = Fun Fun Fun!

I did want to mention that SCACD has several digital stamps that are also available in rubber as well plus they just released several new Steampunk stamps that are available in both rubber and digital forms.


  1. That looks great! I had trouble with my printer ink running when I tried to watercolour digis, so whenever I need a new printer, I'll take that into consideration and look for something like yours. Thanks!

  2. How beautiful, and you have a wonderful technique! :)

  3. Thank you so much Roni! You are awesome to show and tell like this! And quite genius the way you cut around those poppies first so they would work with the die! Well done- and so pretty too! xo

  4. Very informative post. I was always so worried about the ink running. Your card is so beautiful. TFS.

  5. So pretty! Love how you cut the poppy background! Great colors!~kim

  6. Gorgeous altered card! Love how you cut around your poppies to fit your chosen die and your fairy is completely adorable.


Thanks for your thoughts and comments!