Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Candy Corn Acorns!

Fall is in full swing here in Indiana and that means time to collect the bounty of Mother Natures gifts to artists.  We have several large oak trees out at the farm so I always try to collect lots of acorns - both complete and caps.  There are lots of fun things you can do with both so I always pick up what I can before the squirrels snatch them all up.  I've got to be fast though - we've got some smart squirrels...they have to be as big and fat as they are ;)



Here's an Acorn Frame I made a while ago....I've made several over the years and they are always a big hit. 

Oak Frame 012

Today I wanted to share another fun idea...painted acorns!  Dang people are acting like this is something new - I've seen them everywhere this year.  Of course this is nothing new but they are lots of fun to make and use for fall decor around the home.

I paint the acorns a couple different ways depending on if they have caps or not.  For the acorns without their little hats on I apply a bit of adhesive down on a scrap of paper and stick the acorns down so the point is facing up.


Then I just paint away.  Since I'm making "candy corn" acorns I'm going to paint a couple white, some yellow and a few more orange.


Depending on how dry your acorns are and your paint you may need to apply 2 or more coats.


Let them dry completely before moving on...


Here's where the extra caps come in...test fit a cap to find one that fits your acorn and then just add a bit of liquid glue (I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue)


Then place the acorn into the cap and let the glue dry.


For the acorns that have caps I just hold them and paint away.  Once you're finished, find a pretty box to display them in.  I found this fun vintage jewelry casket at a garage sale this past summer...I thought it would be perfect for something like this....  Of course keeping my son out of the candy corn is going to be another issue ;)  lol!!


Hope you're enjoying Autumn where you are!
Stay Inky my Friends!



4 comments:

  1. Love it, Roni!! Adorable idea. Hope all is well!! It's been too long.
    Nanette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yum to me, it is to bad we do not have thse delicieus
    Candy in my country.
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun, what a great project with these little acorns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!! I have just the stash of acorns to use too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!