Friday, November 29, 2013

Fun & Easy - Vintage Feel - Bottle Cap Ornaments

Well have you all been Black Friday'ed out?
I didn't actually go shopping but the Black Friday e-mails were enough for me.
I fell prey to a few of them, I know I know...I just couldn't resist!
Far too many good deals to pass up.

Yes, I even did a bit of on-line shopping on Thanksgiving.
There were "pre-BF" sales and a really great coupon for a clothing site I "HAD" to use ;)
So, what did you score today/this weekend?
On to crafting....
I have a fun and easy ornament for you that will not break the bank...
You can use what you have in your stash and have a slew of great ornaments when you're done.
It will lend a wonderful vintage feel to your tree once they are finished.
Here are the ornaments...


The first thing I did was punch two holes in my bottle caps along the edge directly across from each other.  Set it aside for now.


Trim various collage or stamped images...
all of my images are from assorted sheets from Altered Pages.

When I cut them out I left a small tab on the bottom of each image.


Fold that tab under, now your image will stand up on it's own.


Grab those bottle caps, thread one end of wired tinsel (pipe cleaners) into one of the holes and fold it over back into it's self and wrap to secure.  Repeat on the other side. 


This forms a frame and hanger for your ornament.


Give the top of the wired tinsel a twist forming a small loop.
Glue an image into the bottom of the bottle cap.


Fill the bottom of the cap with any fun tiny embellishment you have on hand....
glass glitter, micro beads, sequins, seed beads, mica flakes, glitter, etc. 


For this particular ornament I used a mix of seed beads.


This one was filled with glitter...


Next finish off each ornament with whatever other goodies you can pull from your stash.
A few ideas might be felt, wood, or acetate shapes; ribbons, fibers, small holiday evergreen or holly pieces, more tinsel (around the bottom edge), leaves, flowers fluff, small shape brads, jingle bells, etc.

Here are a few of the finished ornaments up close....

You will notice I bent the wired tinsel into various shapes.
This helps make each ornament unique and gives it a feel all it's own.







Hope you have fun giving them a try!

3 comments:

  1. These are totally adorable!!! Thanks so much. I live in senior housing and these will make totally adorable little gifts for some of my neighbors. Happy holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool idea! I have a bunch of vintage images I could use. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!