Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sprucing up a Store Bought Container

Recently Mom bought a paper mache type container that she is going to have filled with flowers for her secret sister (at her card club).  It was nice but I thought it would be fun to spruce it up a bit.

So, here is what it started out as....

Spring basket 002

Since it's going to be holding flowers we're going to first get rid of the tiny ribbon handle. 

Next, to give it a more vintage feel I applied Sepia Ink using my Ink Blending Tool to the entire container...even over the image.

Spring basket 003

I thought about adding a layer of clear micro beads to the image (because Mom LOVES them) but I figured since it was going to be filled w/flowers and handled quite a bit I'd go with something a bit more durable.   So I applied a layer of Stickles Glitter Glue to the image to give it a bit of pizazz. 

Spring basket 004


Spring basket 006

After the glitter was dry I decided to frame the image up by adding a bit of Dresden Trim around the edges. 

Spring basket 007

Really sets it off and makes it pop huh?

Spring basket 008

Remember the very inexpensive garland that I salvaged from the Big Lots Easter Decoration?   Well I thought the purple would make the violets in the image really pop so I added it to the top and bottom edge of the container using double sided sticky tape.
Spring basket 010

Then since it's going to house flowers I thought it would be nice to make a matching bow to add to them once it's finished.  I pulled out my Distress Stains and a bit of seam binding. 

Spring basket 013

Wet, ink and crinkle and I now have a pile of fun ribbon to use.
Notice the flowers - those are tiny white flowers that I used to soak up the excess ink left over on the craft mat.  Those will be great to use on another spring-y project!

spring basket 016

And here it is ready for flowers...

spring basket 018

I'm going to see if Mom won't take a pic of it filled before she gives it to her SS.   If she can I'll be sure to share it with you :)
spring basket 019

So, if you're in the store and see an "average" decoration
remember you can always take a bit of time and spruce it up a bit to make it beautiful!

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Roni! I love the touch with Stickles, really makes it look vintage!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much improved! SS will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fabulous Roni! And thanks for reminding me to check BL for the garland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful improvement on a store bought piece. Your creative touch is priceless. Creative Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Roni, the SS will love this.
    Amazing how much of a change you made to a seemingly little pot. TFS.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your last two posts--plus the 80-degree weather in Boston today--have me totally unpacking my summer clothes! What a glorious time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing what a little "sprucing up" can do?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!