Monday, March 26, 2012

NEW Technique - Faux Candy Coat - Pt I

Today I want to share a new technique with you.  This is actually inspired by my son.  Our school offers a program where you can learn a trade part of the day and go to regular school the remainder of the day.  Bob has been taking Automotive Body Shop where he is learning how to repair dents & dings; replace fenders, door skins, etc., straighten frames and painting.

We were discussing the various types of paints and paint techniques and he was telling me about "candy paint" - it's a color mica powder that is usually layered over a silver base coat with a clear shiny top coat.  That got me to thinkin'.....I can do the same thing on paper so here's what I've found out....

Supply list:

Silver Acrylic Paint (any brand as long as it's shiny silver)
Alcohol Inks
Archival or Staz-On ink (If you're planning on stamping it)
Glossy Accents or Crackle Accents, Triple Thick Gloss Glaze; Diamond Glaze; etc.
Cardstock

Instructions:

1. Paint your cardstock with the silver paint.  I painted part of the examples with a smooth coat of paint and the rest I textured.  Let this paint dry completely.

Candy Coat Technique 002

2. Next apply a coat of Alcohol Ink over the paint.  The ink isn't going to look like much at this point....it's going to have a dull look over the silver.  

NOTE: Since the real car technique is done with a mica powder I thought I'd experiment a bit using Perfect Pearls and Twinkling H2O's.  Both were very difficult to apply over the silver paint and get good coverage.   After much work I did get a semi o.k. look with both but it was ruined in step 4.  This is why I ended up sticking with Alcohol Inks.

Candy Coat Technique 003

3. If you want to stamp your "Candy" it's time to do so.  Use your favorite permanent waterproof ink.  I like to use Archival ink but like I always say, use what you have.

4. It's now time to add your "Gloss Coat" to your paint job.  I have used a variety of mediums with success.... Glossy Accents, Triple Thick Gloss Glaze, Crackle Accents, Rock Candy, Diamond Glaze, etc.

It's time to let the gloss mediums dry....

NOTE: As your Gloss Coat begins to dry you will notice the color REALLY pop!  This is where it all comes together.  The Alcohol Ink over the silver base coat makes for an amazing combination.  It really does look like the automotive paint technique.
Candy Coat Technique 005

Candy Coat Technique 014

I'll be back tomorrow with the finished looks!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I look forward to the finished pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Vic, I can't wait to see the results. i love how inspired you get by the most unusual things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! love it. Just an idea... could you add a small amount of mica in with the gloss/glaze to get the shimmery effect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni, the stamp is so charming but I have to say my fav is the leopard background. I'm a sucker for anything with a leopard print. Great site! Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roni you have am amazingly creative mind ~ who would have thought? Eagerly awaiting the finished looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hat is off today to the "REPURPOSING QUEEN!" Definitely will be back for the next installment! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoohh! Cool! I also like "purplecinn"'s idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!