Saturday, December 17, 2011

25 Gifts & Ornaments #20 - All Geared Up Steampunk Ornament

Yes I know another Steampunk inspired ornament...I can't help it, once I get into the Steampunk state of mind ideas just start coming fast and furious. 

25 Gifts & Ornaments
#20 - All Geared Up
Steampunk Ornament

All Geared Up Ornament 001

Supplies:

Glass Ornament
Alcohol Inks
Canned Air
Sticky Foil  - Ranger
Gear Shaped Dies
Bullion (French Wire)
Ribbon
(optional) watch parts
Glue Dots
Instructions:

1. Add a few drops of one color of Alcohol Ink. I am using two colors so I started with the lightest color I was using - Terra Cotta.  

2. Place the canned air straw into the ornament and give it a few quick bursts of air. 
All Geared Up Ornament 002

3. (optional) If you're using more than one color add a couple drops of the next color and again give it a few short blasts of air.  

Here is how my ornament looks so far....  I used colors that reminded me of copper but of course you can use any color combo you would like.
All Geared Up Ornament 003

4. Cut several different sized gears from the sticky back silver foil. 

5. Color each of the gears with alcohol ink. 

All Geared Up Ornament 005

6. Peel the backing paper from the foil; position and gently form the foil around the ornament.  This foil works perfectly for this type of application, it bends and shapes freely while sticking in place really well.

All Geared Up Ornament 007

7. (optional) Of course you don't need to but I added assorted watch parts to the inside of my ornament for a bit of added interest.

All Geared Up Ornament 008

8. Take a bit of French Wire Bullion (it's a tightly coiled wire) and stretch it out...

All Geared Up Ornament 009

here it is after I stretched it out.  A little bit of bullion goes a very long way.

All Geared Up Ornament 010

9. Snip the bullion into several smaller pieces approx 3-4" long. Place a few glue dots around the base of the hanger; bend each piece of bullion and stick it to the glue dots.

10.  Attach the bow and you're all set!

All Geared Up Ornament 012

Mmmmmm, gotta love all that shiny gear goodness!!!!

15 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I need to try it. Thank you it is really wonderful.

    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredible Roni. Just loving all these quick ideas. What a great masculine teen gift this would be for those you give an ornament to yearly.
    Thanks for all you share with us.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really loving your steampunk ornaments. This one is great. I can see a steampunk Chrissy tree in my future. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Roni,

    thanks for sharing this idea.
    The use of the foil for the gears is a great idea.

    greetings from belgium
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I was thinking of decorating in steam punk style this year, but I don't have the supplies yet. I'll keep it in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool!!!! I agree with Lesley, these would make excellent gifts for the mechanical person too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! This is one of my favorite projects. Love the way you colored it with alcohol inks. Really beautiful job. TFS

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the ink and air can idea..tfs
    Merry Christmas to you and yours..loves ya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply beautimus!!! Love how the bullion (I'd never heard of it before today..thanks!) makes the ornament perfect!! I think I'm asking Santa for some of your talent for Christmas! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an awesome ornament Roni! Love how it turned out.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta love that steampunk goodness! Great idea Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never used "steam punk" and "Christmas" in the same sentence, but this ornament is amazing! I think I'll be adding a little steampunk to my tree this year; thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!