Monday, September 27, 2010

Stamped & Decoupage Pumpkins!

It's officially Fall so in my book that means it's time to start decorating for Halloween!!!!
Woo Hooo!!!!

Last year around Halloween I saw some awesome pumpkins that were decorated by some very patient person.  She had painted a cool looking flourish, paisley, damask pattern on her pumpkin....using a stencil!!! No freakin' way!  That takes WAY too much time so I was determined to figure out an easier way to do it.

Stamped and Decoupage
Decorated Pumpkins

Supplies:

White or Orange Pumpkins
White Paint (optional)
Decoupage Medium
Rubber Stamps
Archival Ink
Napkins

Instructions:

NOTE: This technique works best with white pumpkins...now I don't know how much the white pumpkins are in your area but in mine the white pumpkins are 2-3x's more expensive than regular orange ones.  Personally I think with a bit of time and white paint I can buy the orange one ;)  LOL!!

1. (optional) If you're working with a white pumpkin you can skip this step.  Wipe off your pumpkin so there is no dust, dirt or debris left anywhere on the pumpkin... This is very important to achieve a good coat of paint.
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 007

2. (optional) Paint your pumpkin with white acrylic paint and let it dry completely. I used my heat tool to speed drying.  I applied only one coat and it covered pretty good.  I'm sure this will depend on the brand of paint you use but if nec. you can add a second coat.
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 009

3. Stamp desired image(s) and/or sentiments on tissue paper.  It is important that you use Archival or Staz-On type inks since we will be using decoupage mediums.
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 001

4. Apply a layer of collage medium (I am using Collage Pague) to the pumpkin where you want your stamped image.
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 002

5. Gently place the tissue paper over the collage medium and paint a second layer over the napkin to secure.  Smooth any wrinkles with a brush or your finger which is wet with collage medium.   DO NOT over work your tissue paper once it has been applied to the pumpkin.  Once it is wet it will be very fragile!!!!  It can tear easily and could ruin the design.
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 003

Here is what your pumpkin will look like at this point.  Don't worry that your image looks a bit cloudy...it will dry clear.

Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 004

Now, to finish decorating the pumpkin we're going to use napkins! 
You will need to peel the excess white layers of napkin away from the printed layer.  Don't throw these extra layers away...you can keep these white sheets for clean up.

6. Apply a nice layer of collage medium to one side of the pumpkin...
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 005

7. Gently drape the napkin over the glue.  Begin to smooth and apply a layer of collage medium to the napkin.  Just like the stamped image you don't want to over work the napkin as it will be very fragile once wet!
Stamped Decop. Pumpkins 006

8. Continue adding additional glue/napkins until the entire pumpkin has been covered.  Set aside and let the pumpkin dry completely!

I will be back tomorrow to show you the finished stamped and decoupaged pumpkins! 
I hope you stop back in and check em out!

12 comments:

  1. Cool job and those napkins are perfect for your stamped image!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shoot Roni!

    I was really wrapped up in what you where showing us. I was a little disappointed I have to wait until tomorrow to see the end results - LOL! This looks great already, can't wait to seen it finished.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovin' this idea...can't wait to see the finished project:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea!! I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great idea. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this too much!!! Soooo Awesome!!!!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this cool project! I followed your directions, and you can see my pumpkin here.
    http://karenink.typepad.com/karens_muse_and_musings/2010/10/black-and-white-pumpkin.html
    I gave you credit for the idea and linked to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by error,
    while I was searching on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a
    lot for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don't
    have time to browse it all at the minute but I have
    saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
    will be back to read more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website
    with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and amazing design and
    style.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!