Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Newest Additions to our Farm!

I briefly mentioned we had a couple of new babies last night ~ a set of twins! This cow had twins last year as well but ended up only taking care of one, rejecting the other.

WELL, I wasn't going to let that happen again!!

We got there shortly after she gave birth so we brought them into the barn ~ here are their minutes old pics...

twins 010410 003

twins 010410 004

She seemed to be taking card of the nearest calf soooooo I had Eric bring the second calf up to the house! We had it in the bathroom (floor covered of course) and I cleaned and dried it off. We let it rest a bit and then I went in and talked to it and rubbed it until it got up. (it's a little boy btw) We got it to eat a bit and then he really livened up so Eric took him back out to be with his mother.

Fast forward to today and mom and BOTH babies are doing great! Keeping our fingers crossed that she continues to take care of both otherwise I'm going to have a bottle baby ;)

12 comments:

  1. Aren't they the sweetest?! I envy you living on a farm. So cool! ;)
    ~Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooo that is such a sweet picture! i sooo want to visit your farm and see your friends--what picutre oportunities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how precious! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is lovely - would make a gorgeous Christmas card for next year.
    I hope mum starts looking after the other one - makes me fill up to think of her rejecting him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a calf we had when I was a kid. Dad found a new calf in a blizzard half frozen. He brought him into the kitchen and we gave him whiskey with raw eggs. I remember rubbing him with towells until he unfroze ( is that a word?) Oh, we named him blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are SOOOOOOOOOO cute!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun pictures to see on a cold winter day! I love little babies of any kind, and those two are beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing those photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni -

    They are just so precious! Aren't they lucky to have you around to ensure they get taken care of!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how sweet, fingers crossed mum takes to both .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the twins! I hope Mom decides to do the right thing; bottle babies are no fun (I know from experience)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Herefords, huh? I grew up on a registered Hereford ranch. This breed has the lowest incidence of twins among beef cattle...Small
    differences were reported in beef breeds with Hereford cattle having the lowest incidence (0.4%
    or one out of every 250 births) of twinning while Angus had 1.1% incidence. Interesting factoid! lol Two bull calves or one of each?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!