Monday, July 14, 2008

Stipple Brushes & Perfect Pearls!

Just one more technique to share with you using Stipple Brushes....I could share lots more cause I keep thinking up new ways to use them but I don't want to bore anyone.

Today I want to share with you a couple techniques for applying Perfect Pearls using stipple brushes! Both techniques are VERY easy to do and you don't need any special supplies beyond the stipple brush, Perfect Pearls & Medium and water! Now how cool is that...


Stipple Brush & PP's001



Supplies:

Stipple Brush (any size will do)
Perfect Pearls - Ranger
Perfect Medium - Ranger
Perfect Pearls Brushes (comes with all PP kits) - Ranger
Inkssentials Mini Mister filled with water - Ranger
Inkssentials Black Glossy Cardstock - Ranger
Inkssentials Heat-It Craft Tool or other Embossing/Heat Gun

Technique #1 - Stippled Medium

Instructions:

1. Begin by pouncing your stipple brush on the Perfect Medium Pad. Now pounce the PM onto the black cardstock. You will want to lift up the cardstock and tilt it in the light so you can see where the medium is and where more needs to be applied. A light coat will do the trick as we will apply a second coat later.

Stipple Brush & PP's002


2. Dust desired color of Perfect Pearls over the still wet Perfect Medium. (For this example I used Perfect Copper) Lightly brush off excess Perfect Pearls with brushes provided in the kit.

Stipple Brush & PP's003


3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 using a different color of Perfect Pearls. (For my 2nd color choice I used Green Patina)

Stipple Brush & PP's004


This is what you will end up with! Now, I know it doesn't look like much ~ the luster and radiance of Perfect Pearls is so difficult to photograph. If you've ever used them before you know just how beautiful their colors are. If you've not seen them in person before you really need to. No photo can do them justice.

Stipple Brush & PP's005


and....here is what I did with it! I did get the Perfect Copper PP's to show up pretty well at this angle but you still can't see the Green Patina much. Additional supplies: Inkadinkado Dress Form Stamp, Autumn Leaves sentiment, Posh Metallic Accent Pen.

Stipple Brush & PP's012

Technique #2 - Stippled Pearls

Before I move on to the instructions, I wanted to tell you a bit about blending the water & Perfect Pearls. You can blend them in several ways but I will share two with you today...

I like to use the first method when I need a large quantity of PP's. I use a small disposable cup which a bit of water has been added. You then add a couple small scoops of Perfect Pearls and mix. It takes a long time to get all the little lumps out but it's worth it.

The second method is much quicker and works great if you need a small amount of Perfect Pearls. You simply put a small amount of the Perfect Pearls Pigment on the Non-Stick Craft Mat and gently mist with water (2-3 squirts usually do the trick). Now, mix using the wood stick or pounce the stipple brush in the water/PP's to mix.

Instructions:

1. Mix desired color of Perfect Pearls with water.

Method 1 -

Stipple Brush & PP's006

Method 2 -

Stipple Brush & PP's009

2. Pounce the water/PP mixture onto the black cardstock. *Heat to dry. (*Note - it is very important to dry the PP's between colors so you don't end up with a pearly mud!!)

Stipple Brush & PP's008
3. Continue mixing and adding PP's and drying until you achieve desired results. For the example I used Turquoise, Berry Twist and Forever Green.

Stipple Brush & PP's010

and here are the results...

Stipple Brush & PP's011

and this is what I did with it :)

Stipple Brush & PP's013

So there you have it...a really fun technique that doesn't take long to complete but yields such amazing results! Give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.
I have gotten several requests to show some techniques using Mica so I will be sharing some fun projects using both sheet and composite types of Mica.
Till then...have a rockin Monday!!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I am most impressed with technique #2, but maybe that's just b/c it's hard to really see the colors from a photo or a scan.

    And... glossy paper has become harder and harder to find these days so I am super glad I have a big stash of glossy white and a small stash of glossy black!

    Thanks for more great techniques, Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yow, that second version is gorgeous! But I know what you mean about needing to see it in person to really get the full effect! I only have the jewel colors of Perfect Pearls, but now I'm starting to think I need to start looking for a few more colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!