Monday, April 27, 2020

Lost in the Haze....Craft Saturday to the Rescue!

Hello All...How have you all been during this strange time we're living in? I hope you're safe, well, and enjoying the time off. If you're an essential, I hope you all know how much we appreciate you.


I feel like I've been living in a haze - no real sense of time, days, etc. It seems like an endless blur. Don't get me wrong - I love staying home and cherish the time with DH - I think I could actually be a hermit if truth be told. 

That being said all of the uncertainty and contradicting information swirling around the virus has taken it's toll on me. I am a bit odd being I'm an artist living in a Left Sided Brain. I know that's not how it should be but my logical left brain is often at war with my right brain artsy desires. That is why I haven't posted virtually anything this month. I want to create but I sit in my room and stare at all of the virus news (right, wrong or indifferent) trying to make sense of it and my creativity has been stifled.  


I was talking to my Mom recently and we decided we needed a virtual Craft Saturday....if you recall we try to have a crafty day at least once a month playing with different mediums, techniques, etc.  So I challenged my Mom and my nephew (who is living with her at the moment) to create a torn paper collage with the theme of a bird.  They accepted the challenge and I'm here with the results to share with all of you!



This is Matthew's creation...state bird of Indiana no less!  I love how he used real feathers for it's wing and tail and that background...LOVE IT!!




Mom chose a rooster on a fence....She calls it the Early Bird Gets the Worm. She used feather fibers for it's wing and various colors of washi tape for his tail. I just love it don't you? 


The sparkle of that tail is just awesome.  Check out the purple worm he's eating - LOL!! Isn't that great?

And here's mine...I was a bit late for Craft "Saturday" because I tried tearing  and I just couldn't make it look like I wanted it to so I just gave up. The right side of my brain wanted to create and the left side (and a bit OCD) just would not let it happen. The next day I decided I would switch to fussy cutting and I felt so much better about it... while it's not paper tearing it is a paper collage of a bird so I say it's close enough to qualify.


I call this my Steampunk Alarm Clock!!

Yes I made a rooster too - we didn't know we had both chosen the same bird until I showed mom while it was in the process and hers was already completed - LOL!!  Acutally, Morgan was going to make a rooster collage as well (which none of us knew) but she ended up working outside with Bob so she never was able to complete it.  Great minds you know!  

All of the paper is from Graphic 45 (except the peeling paint background) from Steampunk Spells, Debutante and Rare Oddities collections for the most part. Once I let my left brain have it's precise lines and edges I was finally able to break my creative block. It felt so good to finally do something creative.  I will share more about my process tomorrow...hope you'll stop back and check it out!

Maybe you could join us on our next Craft Saturday Challenge. We're going to try our hands at Rolodex - Memorydex cards!  I'll let you know more tomorrow :)


2 comments:

  1. Awesome makes from the whole gang. Well done on getting your creativity flowing. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing talented family you have! Loved the use of feathers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!