Monday, January 19, 2015

2015 Technique Calendar - January

Hey everyone!  Yeah!  It's time to start our first page in our calendar.  If you've joined me in prior years you know I sort of go with the seasons and holidays.   January in Indiana means snow so that is the general theme for my January page.  You of course can vary your themes and colors and still play along.  I've tried to make it versatile enough so you can make it your own.

Below are a list of supplies I will be using to create this arch.  I have also listed several alternatives where appropriate.

Supplies:

Chipboard (for arch base)
Just For Fun Rubber Stamps - Sketchy SnowmanSmall Snow Pine
Technique Tuesday - Sentiment Stamp
The Crafters Workshop - Diamond Stencil; Star Stencil
Mica Flakes
Vintage Lace 
Silver Glitter

Directions...

So, starting off I spritzed my Gothic Arch with a blue dye spray (this one is from DecoArt).  Complete coverage isn't necessary but the center is the most important area.


Next, cover the entire arch with a thicker layer of gesso; scrape it around a bit...by doing so the gesso should start picking up some of the color from the dye spray ink.  Just a tinge is great but continue to mix it up as long as you'd like.  Then sort of scrape it from the center and pile it near the bottom and around the top of the arch.


This is totally optional but it adds a great bit of texture and some sparkle too.  Sprinkle in some glitter or in my case I used some Mica "snowflakes".  Mix it into your piles of gesso.



Here are a few close ups of what it looks like....


Look at all that wonderful texture!  Gotta love it and the shine and sparkle of the mica is an added bonus!


Stencil time...I added a bit of blue, purple and pink using this fun diamond pattern.


Stamped a few snowflakes using white acrylic paint.


Now it's time for a bit of stamping.... (using Staz-On ink)


I then colored the trees and bits of the snowman with markers and stenciled on some Gold stars.


Next I added the calendar.


Which is where we'll stop for today. 
Tomorrow we'll add a few more layers!

Also, due to many e-mails and requests we'll do one calendar page a week - that way everyone will have plenty of time to play along.

4 comments:

  1. Yipee!! I can't wait to get started tomorrow! Thank you Roni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tute, I am definitely going to have a go tomorrow, thanks very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Great start and can't wait until the weekend so I can do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for slowing the pace. Helps me a lot. I'm sort of new here, and am just catching on. I do have a suggestion: a simple listing of supplies used for a particular project. It is very helpful for those of us who are less experienced, but want to replicate what you have done as we learn. Thanks for a great craft blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!