Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2015 Technique Calendar - February

Time for February's Mixed Media Calendar Page!!  The main technique I want to focus on is the peeled paint technique.  The whole idea behind this technique is that the jelly will resist the paint which makes for a fun, unexpected outcome.

The supplies are very minimal - petroleum jelly, acrylic paint* and clean cloths.  That's it!   Let's begin...

*Thinner paints work better for this technique.

Determine what you want your background to be.  It could be bits of ephemera like mine, you could use a solid color cardstock, pattern paper, etc.


Liberally spread the petroleum jelly over various areas of your arch.  


Paint your first color over the entire arch...jelly and all.  Try to cover each area with one or two stokes.  You don't want to over work it and move the jelly around.  Let the paint dry.


Once the paint has dried, wipe away the jelly - everywhere the PJ was will have resisted the paint.


Continue building layers of "peeled paint" by repeating the jelly, paint, dry and wipe.  Here is my pink layer...


Then I added a white layer...


a lavender layer ...


and finally I added a bit of rouge red here and there.


I had some extra paint left over so I made a plain manila tag using the same layering technique.


And you can finish off your calendar any way you like.  I stamped several background images on the background in Cotton White; Gold and another shade of pink.  Added a bit of washi tape, the darling stamped mouse from Unity and a few other bits.  


Supplies: Petroleum Jelly; DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint; Vintage Sheet Music; IMAGINE Crafts - Creative Medium, Staz-On Cotton White, Jet Black; Memento Marker - Lady Bug; Tuxedo Black Pico Embellisher; Unity Stamp - Mouse; Sentiment - Avery Elle; Washi Tape; Stick Back Gems & Filigree Piece

3 comments:

  1. I am just uploading my first page and it'll post later on today/evening. I so enjoyed it Roni - thank you! With other stuff that I have going on that is not cards I've set up a new blog just for mixed media and stuff that I want to do and learn.
    I really like the look of this one too - I'm hoping that it will make me feel more confident in the long run and even better I will, hopefully, enjoy it more than cards too lol! Your generosity with sharing these techniques is greatly appreciated - so thank you so much hun! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another item that's in my craft room and everyone wonders why! Can't wait to try this but a root canal comes first tomorrow afternoon. Maybe Thursday I'll be in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have blogged my new obsession on my new blog:
    http://karenscrafting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/wednesdays-post-is-about-new-blog-and.html

    Thank you Roni! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!